User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you rather own one rare plant, or a large collection of common ones?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd much rather have a bunch of nice, common plants. Honestly, I don't care how common something is if it looks nice. There are some painfully common Utrics out there that I love because they make nice flowers. :shrug:

Things are always dynamic and interesting when you've got lots of plants. Sure one might be doing crummy, but another is flowering like made, or it's time to make divisions of yet another.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats considered rare this year might be extreamly common in 2 years.......tuberous dews other than peltata were rather difficult to get ahold of a few years ago but more and more species are getting easy to get ahold off.....when i started in 2003 it was really something if yah had a Ceph or D. falconeri, now most anyone that wants one can get one rather quick for less than an arm and a leg......

as far as im concerned some of the most interesting and beautiful dews are the binata complex and capensis.....few dews can rival the looks of a really well grown capensis......one of the pictures that really sticks in my mind for nepenthes is a bush of a Ventrata a Hawaii grower had growing by his mail box.......

do i have some plants right now that are considered rare? yeah, but thats not why i tracked them down or got ahold of them, i got them cause they interested me and for no other reason.....i would want them weither they only a handful of ppl or everyone had them......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I can count on a plant dying every now and then, I don't want one rare plant because it would eventually mean no plants. But I don't want lots of plants either because I have neither the space nor the motivation they need. I've been down that path a few times with various kinds of plants and hope I never do it again. My orchid collection, which once approached 100, is down to 4 and my Nep collection is down to 1. I have several Sarrs and VFTs too, but that'd OK because they live outside and spend half the year asleep. If my sunny growing space weren't so limited, I'd have more of them. I went a little crazy trading for cacti last fall, but they prefer being ignored, which makes them ideal for me.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I can count on a plant dying every now and then, I don't want one rare plant because it would eventually mean no plants.
    aint that the truth......every once in awhile something is going to keel over for some reason you cant put your finger on.....for example i can not grow D. adelae.......Andrew didnt believe me and sent me one......3 days later i had a dead adelae.......he said keep it, it will come back from the roots....8 months later still no growth....ive got its sister species, prolifera, growing happily but i cant get adelae to live longer than a week.....be damned if i can explain why?
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you have one plant, you might spoil it, and it might die from the stress. on the other hand, more plants means more fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I care more about looks, but it is nice if a plant is unusual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would definitely prefer a large collection of "commoners" over one "rare" plant..
    and hey..thats pretty much what I have!

I only have two plants that could be considered "rare"..both sarrs..
    one is a ICPS 'alabamensis'
    and I have a genuine Leah Wilkerson division, straight from the bog..

everything else is common..I dont even have any VFT named cultivars..

Scot

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive always wanted something in the middle, that is, a mediumish collection of semi-rare plants. Think unique sarras, a few nice neps (none of the $300 guys), cephs, tuberous dorsera, and some plants with high personal value (my first ever CP, a ventricosa 'red' for example), and thats my collection.

No N. klossii's, but a less common than N. ventrata and regular VFTs (which i have and love lol). But an excellently grown ventrata and reg. VFT surely out shine poorly grown rare plants, and 100% of "normal" plants..
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast