User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A glass terrarium assembly video!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A glass terrarium assembly video!

In my hunt for info on building my new vivarium / terrarium I ran across this video which makes building an all glass terrarium APPEAR quite simple if you have an extra pair of hands to assist.

Several hardware stores around here custom cut glass of varying thickness. I'm thinking 3/8" or 5/8" thickness for the large size tank I have in mind, perhaps with plastic/aluminum "angle irons" up the back corners. Has anyone here done a similar (all glass) project as shown in this video? I'd be interested in your experiences or images of finished pieces if you have them. I know filling it plumb full of water could be a disaster but I'm not doing an aquarium, though I will be filling the inner seams like an aquarium with the extra strip of silicone sealant as insurance policy. All glass would be so much nicer than the protected wood and glass front I had planned and more simply waterproofed. I would still be using the same 3 brace, sliding front design I drew up, just built with all glass instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nobody?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was cool. Just reminds me of how I have no money to spend on plant stuff as of lately though.
    The music seemed a little out of place.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not money for it either. I have been getting by on sweet trades with the locals I also find I spend money I shouldnt when I see those sweet drops of nectar.... hmmmmmmmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning the liberation of my tax refund, otherwise I wouldn't have the money either. If I don't buy the terrarium stuff it'll end up going to pay on my Visa bill - and that's just no fun! Though it's probly the responsible thing to do...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why glass? Why not plexi glass? A lot cheaper and lighter. Since your not filling it with water you don't need the glass. Just a thought. Check on the next for plexi glass terrarium info. I have seen some DIY designs that were really nice!
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience with plexiglass has been that it will warp and deform over time. I don't know if this is because of the material itself or the combination of high humidity and light or all three. Plexi is nice as a lid for a quick terrarium but I don't think I would trust it as the structure. Even a 1/2" thick sheet that I used as a door on my early highland chamber design warped rather quickly maybe two or three months? It was replaced with an inverted storm window which was less $ than the initial sheet of plexiglass.

I know they make acrylic tanks and vivariums but this must be super thick stuff or some other sort of material than what's available at the hardware stores around here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Has anyone here done a similar (all glass) project as shown in this video?
    Sure - lots.
    In my hunt for info on building my new vivarium / terrarium I ran across this video which makes building an all glass terrarium APPEAR quite simple if you have an extra pair of hands to assist.
    This guy goes crazy with the tape - probably not a bad idea but wow! However, I did not notice any warnings about 'breaking' the edges of the glass with some sandpaper. If you do not do this, you will get cut - sooner or later - and it might get ugly. It's insane how sharp freshly-cut glass is....
    Several hardware stores around here custom cut glass of varying thickness. I'm thinking 3/8" or 5/8" thickness for the large size tank I have in mind, perhaps with plastic/aluminum "angle irons" up the back corners.
    - hardware store glass is very pricey - especially in sizes / thicknesses you want. I happened to be walking in a mall one time when they were gutting an old jewelry store. They were tossing out 1/4" slabs of glass. I asked & got as many as I wanted.
    - 3/8 or 5/8" glass will be super heavy. If you're not holding any water - why go that thick? Even 4-5' panels of 1/4" are very heavy.
    - very important to plan exactly how your various glass pieces will fit together & cut appropriately.

I'm not sure what types of questions you have but I can try to answer - PM me...(I also suspect that there are a few herp folks w/ some experience who haven't noticed your post)...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast