Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Won a ribbon :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do they taste different from regular chickens

sorry, couldnt help myself.........actually i was looking into these guys when i lived in the country but never got any....just had ducks and geese.......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean like 6.5' of feathers?
    Yeah, 6.5 Ft long, but he broke off 32". Susumu is 4 Lbs.

That doesn't seem like many molts for a bird with feathers that long.
    No, they skip molts. No known pures exist in the US, but I think I'm getting close to having things put together. Check out the standard. It explains a lot.

standard

Do they get enormous pinfeathers or do the long ones start out normal size and grow bigger?
    Not especially large, some maybe half the size of a drinking straw. Lots of blood though.

This was him at 4.5 months. All of the pink is blood. The adult feathers are larger and have more blood. The whole tail and back of the bird is covered in these. Makes them fragile.

They are extremely soft feathered. The males are covered in hackle in areas where other breeds have none. The entire sides are sometimes hackled even more than shown here.

do they taste different from regular chickens

sorry, couldnt help myself....
    No idea.

..actually i was looking into these guys when i lived in the country but never got any....just had ducks and geese.......
    They're a lot of work. They have to be housed carefully, heated in the winter, handled and exercised every day, and fed a specific diet.

In the mid 1990s UG Athens found Gallus varius (http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi) in their background. That busts the old notion that every chicken comes only from Gallus gallus. Since that time, Gallus sonneratii has been found in other breeds.

G. varius is notoriously a challenging tropical species to keep. These have to be kept off of certain grains, fed meat, fruits, vegetables, etc. True to G. varius' wild diet of fruit, greens, crustaceans, and large insects. Almost like Gallus gallus' head on a mutated G. varius body in a way.

Hakuraikou last month at 17 months of age, missing/replacing 16 juvenile tail feathers. So not at maximum fullness here. 22" (now 23") saddles, 4 Ft tail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool, do they have black long-tails?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only the duckwing colors have black tails. The bodies are then either black and white (silver), red, or gold. No solid blacks.

Young ones, silver duckwing on the right.

The late Mr. Tajima with a pure Onagadori. A silver duckwing...
    Mr. Tajima
    He bred them for 60 yrs.

A late red duckwing I had... (grandfather to Hakuraikou)

Gold duckwings... My foster father I use is on the left. They do not grow well housed with other birds. So they grow up with him as a roll model of sorts from 2.5 months until 6 months of age, then they are ready to be on their own.

Every continuously growing thing on these birds grows quickly. Toe nails, spurs, and the tip of the upper mandible must be trimmed regularly. Everything has a quick and must be cut carefully.

Though both sexes are usually docile, even the hens can have spurs. I sometimes joke that it's a breed in which the hens can keep the roosters in line. This hen's spurs have been being worked on for some time since this photo. They are almost trimmed now. It had to be taken slowly over more than a week to avoid having a stream of blood.

She's a solid 3 Lbs with a 28" wing span. They can down right move if they want to.

This was her in 2005 at 9 months of age.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! But I do have to agree with seedjar about the first picture. :x He's cute, though.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that the dinner bell I hear ringing? Looking at all these chickens is making me hungry!
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hands off, go eat a cornish cross. ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no solid blacks? that is a shame, you should try and make one! lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast