What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Won a ribbon :)

Indiana Gardener

Got Drosera?
This is Hakuraikou, my white long-tail, with his ribbon he won in a photo contest
http://ultimatefowl.wordpress.com/2009/02/01/january-photo-conest-winners/
and wearing a Japanese champion collar with it.

hakuraikou-with-ribbon.jpg

This is the photo with which he won.

hakuraikou-14-mo-2.jpg

Wow, nice! He looks like a tough SOB in the first shot. I want to Photoshop a little cigar in his beak. :D
~Joe

I want to Photoshop a little cigar in his beak.

He won't even put corn in his mouth, he just looks at it. LOL Oats, raw fish, cooked rice, fresh cabbage, fresh cranberries, kelp, and hard boiled eggs only for him. :-D

He's a big baby. No fight in him at all.

This is his favorite place for a nap...

hakuraikou-napping.jpg

Isn't he vicious. LOL

Imagine running into this guy six-feet-tall in a dark alley. "You gotta problem with the way I dress? BA-KAW!!!" *PECKPECKPECK*
He's even got a prizefighter's name. Isn't that "white lightning?"
~Joe

Ok, well, 6 Ft, that's another matter. LOL I had my fill of big birds when I had emus.

If he was like his father, he would try to impale you with his spurs. His father is the only mean one I have ever had. And he is about 10 kinds of mean. He won't even look at another bird, but if you're human, you're on his list. Thankfully, that trait did not get passed on to his son and the feathering did.

Yes, his name means white lightning. :) His full name is Megumi Aviary Susumu's Hakuraikou.

His collar is a yokozuna. It's used in sports and showmanship. Tosa inu wear them, poultry wear them, and even sumo wrestlers wear them as belts.

Susumu like "to continue?" Japanese names are really perplexing.
~Joe

"Advancement", like what you said I guess, in his case. He produced 6.5 Ft of juvenile growth. I never let his adult feathers go to see what they would do, but would have been more. I saw his quality and bred him right away.

David

Do you mean like 6.5' of feathers? How big is he? That doesn't seem like many molts for a bird with feathers that long. Do they get enormous pinfeathers or do the long ones start out normal size and grow bigger?
~Joe

do they taste different from regular chickens :D

sorry, couldnt help myself.........actually i was looking into these guys when i lived in the country but never got any....just had ducks and geese.......

Do you mean like 6.5' of feathers?

Yeah, 6.5 Ft long, but he broke off 32". Susumu is 4 Lbs.

That doesn't seem like many molts for a bird with feathers that long.

No, they skip molts. No known pures exist in the US, but I think I'm getting close to having things put together. Check out the standard. It explains a lot.

standard

Do they get enormous pinfeathers or do the long ones start out normal size and grow bigger?

Not especially large, some maybe half the size of a drinking straw. Lots of blood though.

This was him at 4.5 months. All of the pink is blood. The adult feathers are larger and have more blood. The whole tail and back of the bird is covered in these. Makes them fragile.

rec-white-mf-4-5-mo.jpg

They are extremely soft feathered. The males are covered in hackle in areas where other breeds have none. The entire sides are sometimes hackled even more than shown here.

hakuraikou-body-feathers-11-28-2008.jpg

do they taste different from regular chickens

sorry, couldnt help myself....

No idea.

..actually i was looking into these guys when i lived in the country but never got any....just had ducks and geese.......

They're a lot of work. They have to be housed carefully, heated in the winter, handled and exercised every day, and fed a specific diet.

In the mid 1990s UG Athens found Gallus varius (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=gallus varius&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi) in their background. That busts the old notion that every chicken comes only from Gallus gallus. Since that time, Gallus sonneratii has been found in other breeds.

G. varius is notoriously a challenging tropical species to keep. These have to be kept off of certain grains, fed meat, fruits, vegetables, etc. True to G. varius' wild diet of fruit, greens, crustaceans, and large insects. Almost like Gallus gallus' head on a mutated G. varius body in a way.

Hakuraikou last month at 17 months of age, missing/replacing 16 juvenile tail feathers. So not at maximum fullness here. 22" (now 23") saddles, 4 Ft tail.
hakuraikou-17-mo.jpg

cool, do they have black long-tails?

Only the duckwing colors have black tails. The bodies are then either black and white (silver), red, or gold. No solid blacks.

Young ones, silver duckwing on the right.

P-4.jpg

The late Mr. Tajima with a pure Onagadori. A silver duckwing...
Mr. Tajima
He bred them for 60 yrs.

A late red duckwing I had... (grandfather to Hakuraikou)
P.jpg

Gold duckwings... My foster father I use is on the left. They do not grow well housed with other birds. So they grow up with him as a roll model of sorts from 2.5 months until 6 months of age, then they are ready to be on their own.
P-4.jpg

Every continuously growing thing on these birds grows quickly. Toe nails, spurs, and the tip of the upper mandible must be trimmed regularly. Everything has a quick and must be cut carefully.

Though both sexes are usually docile, even the hens can have spurs. I sometimes joke that it's a breed in which the hens can keep the roosters in line. This hen's spurs have been being worked on for some time since this photo. They are almost trimmed now. It had to be taken slowly over more than a week to avoid having a stream of blood.

She's a solid 3 Lbs with a 28" wing span. They can down right move if they want to.

hen-spurs.jpg

This was her in 2005 at 9 months of age.

white-hen.jpg

Congratulations! But I do have to agree with seedjar about the first picture. :x He's cute, though.

Is that the dinner bell I hear ringing? Looking at all these chickens is making me hungry!

Hands off, go eat a cornish cross. ;-) :-))

no solid blacks? that is a shame, you should try and make one! lol

Those are really cool. The three on that bar are cute :3

no solid blacks? that is a shame, you should try and make one! lol

It would be difficult to make a solid black one from duckwing colors. You would end up with streaks of gold or silver in the hackles. Black chickens are usually wheaten based, not duckwing.

There are black long-tails, just not non-molters that keep growing. The Kurokashiwa may get a tail a couple feet long, but it molts regularly.

http://bunkazai.ysn21.jp/general/summary/genmain.asp?mid=30059&cdrom=

The three on that bar are cute :3

Yeah, and all 3 are males. They are quite docile usually.

I forgot to post this one sooner. The bottom left photo is a full view of Hakuraikou in the tree. It shows his tail better. He was 14 months here.

hakuraikou-14-mo.jpg

Back