What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you killed a plant?

I killed a couple vft....one or two sarrs....some dews....so far no neps....Overall I killed alot of plants but not only cps but regular plants too....

If I had a nickel for every plant I've killed....

Lol me 2!!!

Maybe what people should do is to take the first plant they get and roast it in the oven for a couple hours. Once that's out of the way, the next death won't be so traumatic. I don't get new cars but if I did, I'd be tempted to put a good-sized scratch in them so I'd be able to relax.

had a guy tell me that he was in a high end gun shop, some rich gentleman came in the store and picked up a shotgun worth as much as my house, the kind most refer to as safe queens that usually never get hunted with and sometimes never shot.....after paying for the shotgun the individual asked for a screwdriver from the guy behind the counter and when handed the screwdriver he proceeded to put a good scratch in the stock....surprised the hell out of everyone watching, the guy said "that first scratch hurts the worst. best to just get it over with" and out the door he went.....yah knew that gun was going to actually get used as intended :D

grow enough plants long enough you kill some,... others for no reason that you can figure

I hear you there. I have killed many flytraps for reasons to this day I cannot explain/understand.

Let's also not mention P. primuliflora...... :headwall:

some plants that i still grieve over include:
D. slackii
D. peltata
D. multifida extrema (came with a ton of D. capensis 'narrow leaf') killed the entire pot due to prolonged sun exposure--had no idea that could happen--and so quickly.
N. maxima x tobaica (dad knocked it over while i was away in college--died pretty quickly after)
S. flava var atropurpurea
S. leucophylla (i guess i lack adequate lighting for both plants)
Darlingtonia californica (cousin wanted to borrow it for fly removal--thanked me by giving me back a dried pot with thripes)

out of my new current collection (restarted September 09), D. cuneifolia may have kicked the bucket--but i think there's something coming out of the center of the plant (it's black right now) but it may be doing a comeback. i'll update my thread on it if it does (keeping fingers crossed).

My CP collection has not had any Nepenthes for about 5 years now..I have killed three of them over the years..

My one Heliamphora struggled for about 5 years before finally fading away...I tried!
it just was never happy.. :(

I have killed a few Darlingtonia..

I really only have good luck with VFTs and Sarrs..I dont think I have ever lost a VFT!
in 16 years of growing..im pretty much sticking with just the VFTs and Sarrs from now on! ;)
maybe try some Nepenthes again someday, but no hurry..

Scot

Oooh, fun thread:

I killed a good 5 VFTs last year, I've drowned a D.roseana before, and I'm currently killing my second P.titan. I've also had an N.ampullaria die on me, but I'm blaming it on a certain NE US company that continues to have a poor CP reputation. I'm hoping not to kill the present batch of VFTs or Sarrs, but I have a bad feeling about the cobras come the roasting weather in August and September.

But mainly I'm a seed killer. The only thing I've had even 1 out of 100 seeds sprout is D.capensis :blush:

ive lost about 50% of my sarrs over the years due to damp off immediately after dormancy. sad really. im still perfecting stuff. the best dormancy i have had was the last one and i kept them up in the attic. i lost two growth points of S. rubra ssp jonesii (still have one left) one of my minors and a leucophylla. the VFTs are pretty settled in and i dont think they are gonna get damaged by much anymore haha. i need to repot on of my mini bogs, or at least refresh it, cause the mix is decomposing. thatll be a spring break task more than likely haha.

as far as tropicals go. ive intentionally killed off one nep, just because. one dried out as seen in my recent video and a bunch of nep seedlings when they were younger. as far as regular growing conditions go( regular watering, soil checks, light etc.) ive lost my muluensis x lowii and the mother plant of my talengensis. ive received a cutting which was rotted upon arrival. and on of my first neps, ventrata, was torn out of it pot during a storn and lost all of its roots--dead plant in a week. too much shock. sadness...

Alex

I somehow manage to kill every plant that I own. However, I think I've been pretty successful with them for the past year.

However, I've killed easy ones such as Drosera Capensis/Aliciae/Spatulata, Utricularia Gibba/Livida, basically every Pinguicula (Primuiflora, Caerulea, Lutea, Pirouette, Agnata), and a Nepenthes Ventricosa which had been growing really well, but then I trimmed it and repotted it at the same time, and it promptly died.

My worst casualty were 3 Cephalotus' (about $40 each). Each one died from either poor soil, over-watering, or lack of light). However, I got a new Cephalotus about a month ago, and it is growing great for me. I have a new pot, fresh soil, distilled water, and I give it plenty of light and it is actually growing very fast and it is turning red. I think I finally figured out how to grow them. :D

Well if this will make you happy...My truncata jumped of my balcony and crashed down and get squashed by a car.Two green Vfts in my room that I forgot to water dried like crisp.I unrooted my P.primuliflora and I forgot to repot it and it died.I tried to do a cutting on my immature amp and it died and the cutting died.And my sawtooth Vft died because I think I just repotted it when it came out of the fridge and I stuck it in the sun.Oh yeah and the D.adalae I still dunno what I did wrong, killed three plants!And the cephalotus which I tried to separate was too small and well, it dissapeared!

Ooooh, where to begin?

When I started I was terrible at keeping CP's. I thought sun would kill my baby Sarrs! As I got better with them, I bought a $50 hanging N. alata, and stuck it in my really dark room. :oops: It actually hung on for month.

A year after that, I finally started reading up, and made a mini-bog. Everything was doing dandy, I even bought a little Ceph, when there was a death in the family. I stayed inside for a week, and the hot July heat wave were were having killed everything, Sarrs, Ceph, VFTs, even a U. humboldtii.

Recently I managed to knock off a N. rafflesiana and a sturdy N. ampullaria. That amp. had quite a survivor story-- the heater broke down in a fav. NorCal nursery, and that amp. is the only one that survived- I found it in with the highlanders. But, I managed to kill it off with too little light.

And there's my latest really bad luck with pygmies. The rain keeps coming down un-seasonably hard, and up-rooting them all. Then I forgot to cover my new batch of gemmae, and they got washed away. Arrgh!

several sadly, i cant seem to overwinter a VFT 'B52' to save my life up here, a S. leuco tarnok that didnt take too kindly to winter, ton of seedlings from various species...typical natural die off that you would expect when starting any large amount of seed, umm, various neps....not a ton of them, but a few....and cephs, i give up on cephs for now until i have more time to figure out what their problem with me is <_<

I have had lots of fatalities and learned lots too as a results. Here's a list of my fatalities and the associated causes.

1. Followed improper care instructions on a death cube: dionaea.
2. Attempted an unsuccessful fridge dormancy: dionaea, d. rotundifolia.
3. Outdoor conditions were too cold during dormancy: s. purpurae.
4. Heat death from a balcony that was too hot: d. multifida extrema.
5. Red spider mites contracted in contact with same balcony of death: dionaea, d. rotundifolia.
6. Neglect/insufficient watering during moving : d. capensis, d. ventricosa.
7. Pings: Pings just seem to wither in my sight.

-Hermes.

In my youth I killed a Purpurea ssp. Purpurea that I bought from a scientific supply catalog for my HS Botony project. Plus multiple VFTs including a crested petiole which I thought was a deformed flytrap.

The only plants I have killed since I restarted growing CPs about 2-3 years ago was a P. primuliflora that I got as an extra in a pot of sundews, oh and a maxima cutting I received that died < 24 hours after I received it. I also didn't have much luck with seeds until recently. I have worried about my ceph a few times, but it is doing really good after repotting with multiple growth points and adult pitchers.

I owe alot of my success to research plus the fact that I started with easy plants and eased my way into harder ones. I did a lot of research initally and still research every single plant I buy/trade to insure I can take care of it properly. I had a grower hold my first Heli for two months until I was sure my conditions were suitable. I also really like a certain ebook I bought when I first started growing and owe alot of my initial success to it. I still use it as a reference regularly.

I am sure I will kill a few more along the way, but I try to insure every plant I get has all it needs to thrive.

damn!!! i used to tell myself that I didn't kill anything. But those days are past me...I have killed maybe 5-6 neps, 40 or so VFT, 1 cobra, 1 heli.... Most of these were due to stupid reasons though. Killing due to ignorance? 1 nep.

what have i killed...

d. prolifera
vft red dragon
various nep cuttings
s. fledgling (my only sarr i lost in my 2nd dormancy)
n. effulugent koto, n. spectabilis north sumatra to the squirrels
some sase utrics
few pings, my dogs killed my first couple i ever got years ago, sethos and titan.
the first 3 sarrs i ever got, really long time ago before my 2nd collection, dormancy failed
my first 2 ventricosas, and vft trio, these were literally my first cps ever
p. primulifolia from lowes death cube a long time ago

can't think of any others at the moment

I have a N.Mikei that looks pretty pitful and might kick the bucket soon.

My list is pretty sad: N. Truncata (didn't get watered on vacation, not my fault), N. bical.(same thing) S. purpurea, S. Judith Hindle.... the list goes on.

I just hope my mikei turns around. its a pretty plant (well not right now...)

^
Mikei is the only nep I've managed to kill.

I've killed a handful of vft's due to winter kill. I've also killed a handful of sarrs for the same reason, and one sarr died during a week of hot, dry winds last summer. A couple of pings have died on me also. It's weird, the harder the cp is supposed to be, the better the luck I've had. Helis' and Cephs have given me no problems, neps I've only killed one, but sarrs and vft's can be tricky for me. Oh, it looks like my U. sandersonii is bout to give up the ghost too. Go figure.

Not a plant... many plants.

Spider Mite Victims: N. clipeata, lowii, izumiae, sibuyanensis x ramispina, ventricosa
Aphid Victims: My first Darlingtonia clone (replaced), my first oreophila clone (replaced)
Sudden Death: N. khasiana, Dionaea 'Petite Dragon'

Now that I've got that off of my chest, I need to find some replacements... :p

Back