Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Mycorrhizal Users

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say mycorhizal, do oyu mean where the fungi actually interacts with a plants root hairs, and there is a symbiotic relationship in the exchange of nutirients? I have long thought this issue was overlooked by growers and maybe why some CP are so difficult to grow outside of habitat. I think trichoderma though is simply a predatory fungus. I never used it.

My growing Zen says that nothing added over time can lead to lasting good. Either by breeding stronger antagonists or by offering a clean stage for a new species attack, the compensation will fail eventually.

My Zen isn't 100 per cent so keep on experimenting. Hey, whatever happened to that kid growing VFT's in peanut butter?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamlin Dawnstar View Post
    I think trichoderma though is simply a predatory fungus.
    Hi William, Great to see you back!! While most literature agrees with your statement, Av has posted links to some studies (here & ICPS forums iirc) that have shown very significant increases in root development on plants treated w/ Tricho - so it 'appears' that there are some other things going on symbiotically with at least some plants, in addition to it's predatory function .... Here's one... & here's another thread with quite a few posts & links...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this may be the one Ron is referring too,

sorry, only got a sec so didnt go to the link... things are very stressful and hectic at the moment for me personally and professionally

forgive my absence pls

Av

Great research paper on Trichoderma

Abstract:
    Nature Reviews Microbiology 2, 43-56 (January 2004) | doi:10.1038/nrmicro797

Trichoderma species — opportunistic, avirulent plant symbionts
    Gary E. Harman1, Charles R. Howell2, Ada Viterbo3, Ilan Chet3 & Matteo Lorito

Trichoderma spp. are free-living fungi that are common in soil and root ecosystems. Recent discoveries show that they are opportunistic, avirulent plant symbionts, as well as being parasites of other fungi. At least some strains establish robust and long-lasting colonizations of root surfaces and penetrate into the epidermis and a few cells below this level. They produce or release a variety of compounds that induce localized or systemic resistance responses, and this explains their lack of pathogenicity to plants. These root–microorganism associations cause substantial changes to the plant proteome and metabolism. Plants are protected from numerous classes of plant pathogen by responses that are similar to systemic acquired resistance and rhizobacteria-induced systemic resistance. Root colonization by Trichoderma spp. also frequently enhances root growth and development, crop productivity, resistance to abiotic stresses and the uptake and use of nutrients.

Author affiliations
    Departments of Horticultural Sciences and Plant Pathology, Cornell University, Geneva, New York 14456, USA.
    USDA/ARS, SPARC, College Station, Texas 77845, USA.
    Weizmann Institute, Rehovot 76100, Israel.
    Dipartimento di Arboricoltura, Botanica e Patologia Vegetale, Universita degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, and Istituto CNR-IPP, 100-80055 Portici, Italy.

http://www.weizmann.ac.il/Biological...st/Chet/NR.pdf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Butch uses the Trichoderma products from Ampacbiotech.net.

I've tried it and have had more problems with fungus on my Cephalotus than before. YMMV. I know other LACPS members that sneer at the stuff and had to use extreme measures to get rid of it.
    Having read about the joys of Trichoderma, I purchased a trichoderma/mycorrhizae powder off of eBay (once ounce), which I diluted in 1 gallon of distilled water, and put into a spray bottle... As a test case, I have two small 2" pots containing VFT seedlings, growing on a sunny windowsill (until the avg temps here increase.)

I sprayed the soil of one pot with the trichoderma/mycorrhizal solution, and the other I did not. The VFTs in the one that I sprayed are all dying... The VFT seedlings in the one that I didn't spray are flourishing.

Now, this is barely proof of anything, other than 1) I bought a bad brand/batch of tricho/myco, 2) I used it incorrectly, 3) I probably shouldn't have used it on seedlings (?), or 4) there are other factors that came into play that I haven't realized yet.

Still, I just thought it might be worth mentioning at least one other cautionary tale...

(I'm a little concerned because I previously laid down some D. palacea ssp. roseana gemmae on some peat/sand that I inoculated with this solution... If the gemmae do well, I'll post that here as well.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyq View Post
    ... I purchased a trichoderma/mycorrhizae powder off of eBay
    Any more details on the specific stuff you purchased?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is spraying a recommended method of application?

Was your control pot (untreated) sufficiently isolated and you took precautions (such as washing hands etc.) that there was little chance of "contamination"?

However it would be interesting to see the results of more control tests like this. Unfortunately I doubt if the majority of growers out there have sufficient resources (space mainly) to provide sufficient isolation to prevent contamination of the control group with nearly identical growing conditions.

Anyway, as with anything, Your Mileage May Vary.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Any more details on the specific stuff you purchased?
    Please post any details you have available.... there are many strains of trichoderma and a greater number of products with varying inerts being used. Some of which are probably not Cp safe.
    Likewise, some combinations of biologicals are not compatable.

If possible...
    What is the name of the product?
    What strains does the product contain?
    What inerts are used?
    Spore count of possible?
    Age or product? (example: rootsheild has a 6 month shelf life)
    Any other products used (ferts etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Is spraying a recommended method of application?

Was your control pot (untreated) sufficiently isolated and you took precautions (such as washing hands etc.) that there was little chance of "contamination"?

However it would be interesting to see the results of more control tests like this. Unfortunately I doubt if the majority of growers out there have sufficient resources (space mainly) to provide sufficient isolation to prevent contamination of the control group with nearly identical growing conditions.

Anyway, as with anything, Your Mileage May Vary.
    As always, Nan speaks the truth...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CPs have non-mycorrhizal roots. I'll try and dig up a link for you all. Myco has no effect on CPs . Idk about trichoderma. Haven't been able to find anything on CPs and trichoderma.

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

http://mycorrhizas.info/nmplants.html

Go down the list to droseraceae on the NM list

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast