What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Flower Pictures

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
Here are a few flowers that I took pictures of. Go easy, I'm still learning the camera :).

U. sandersonii
IMG_0996.jpg

D. indica 'Green Form'
IMG_0999.jpg

P. moctezumae
IMG_1003.jpg

And for fun, U. humboldtii
IMG_1002.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Crystal

Nice! there's a cute D. capensis ( i think) in the U. humboldtii pot :)

Last edited by a moderator:
wow looks great crystal!

its true your U. humboldtii is under attack!

the camera did a pretty good job, how was the autofocus? did you get lost in the background when you were focusing some of those shots?

Thanks guys! That indeed does seem to be a D. capensis Pet. No idea where it came from, must have come along in the moss.

Chris, I didn't use a tripod or anything, just held the camera. I probably could have done better. The marco lens and the appropriate setting on the camera do a pretty good job with the autofocus. There's no minimum distance that it has to be from the object. I do have options for manual focus, but didn't use them because I was just holding the camera. Not completely sure what you mean by lost in the background, but a few were out of focus. That would have been fixed if I wasn't being lazy :). If I get a chance I'll try again this weekend (and take the time to use the tripod). Flowers are tricky.

Crystal

flowers are very tricky, sometimes the camera will lose the ability to pick out that tiny flower scape as the object it needs to focus on, and the hand wobble your going to produce no matter who you are is enoough to sometimes throw off the autofocus when you have a busy background :)

if you feel really inspired next time when you take flower photo's a tip some will do is take a piece of black paper or construction paper and place it behind the flowers so the camera will have an easier time focusing... if focus is a problem that is :p

Nice utric flowers. :) The U. humboldtii looks great, too!

Nice job on the cultivation and the photography. That disclaimer sounds awfully familiar, LOL!

Thanks guys :). LOL Jim!! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ;).

I took some time today to try again. Pulled out the tripod and played around with the auto and manual focus. I think it's safe to say that photography will stay a hobby. I'm just not all that good at it.

Most of my flowers didn't wait for me, so I had to find some other victims.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Some of them turned out a bit soft and perhaps not as focused as they should be.

U. sandersonii round two
IMG_1121crp.jpg

D. prolifera
IMG_1125crp.jpg

D. montana var. tomentosa
IMG_1111.jpg

P. primuliflora
IMG_1127crop.jpg

N. clipeata X (clipeata x eymae)
IMG_1137crop.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

Not a macro. Thought I should get a picture of my N. spectabilis before I butcher it. The main vine has suffered quite a bit supporting two nice sized basals.
IMG_1089.jpg

Still looking great! Nice drool on the N. clipeata x (clipeata x eymae) picther.

So that's the spect you were talking about.

Is your U. humboldtii from rattler? Mine is. Looks great!

oh wow... that drooling N. clipeata x (clipeata x eymae) is awesome, when nepenthe pitcher drool means their hungry? try to attract insects?

Thanks guys! I didn't know that the N. clipeata hybrid was such a drooler! It took forever to settle in and I was having some doubts about it. It's one of my favorites now :).

Jeff, that is the spec I mentioned. Is that okay? The basals are technically bigger than the vine if you go by width. They are now sitting in a cup of water waiting to root (I can't root anything dealing with Nepenthes in media, they rot; water works go figure). My U. humboldtii is indeed from rattler. It's settled in nicely I think. I had some seedlings that came from an offer awhile ago, but unfortunately I ended up killing them all.

Indigo, I have no idea why some Neps drool. Some don't drool at all while others go crazy.

Thanks guy. I honestly think I do better with pictures when NOT trying haha. Every time I look at them, they look worse ;).

Crystal

...when nepenthe pitcher drool means their hungry? try to attract insects?

Yes, Nepenthes create nectar to lure insects, but I wouldn't say they make it when they're "hungry." If they really enjoy their home, they will most likely produce nectar. And it is Sweeeet. I wish I had a jar of it.

Back