Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lighting Comparison 2x T12 vs 4x T8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    How many lumens does a T-8 throw compared to a T-12? What is the actual difference between the two? Do T-8s come in daylight (6500K models) and still draw 40 watts each?

Would 4x T-8s in this "tall ceiling" reflector be equivalent (or better) of 2x 95W Power Compacts (3 ft long) for mounting over a 3ft tall landcsape vivarium that I have in it's planning stages?

Typical T8 48" run on 30 or 32 watts and will be 2600-2800 initial lumens for a daylight tube.
    Typical T12 48" run on 34 or 40 watts and will be about 2700 lumens for the 34watt energy saver and 3200 lumens for the 40watt (daylight for both)
    So you can see the T8 is not all that much less when compared to energysaver T12 but is noticeable with the old 40watt T12

Neither a 4tube T8 or T12 fixture will put out as much light as 2x 96w power compact fixture. . I am correct in thinking you are talking about the 34" long bent tube bulb that is typically used in the aquarium trade and not the spiral type of Compact Fluorescent?
    For both the 4 tube T8 and T12 fixture, estimate about 4x2600 lumens = 10400 lumens vs 2x 96w power compact at 8000 lumens each for 16000 lumens.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mentioned your new fixture also has a very nice reflector which will make a HUGE difference. Especially since most of the light from a round fluorescent tube is not produced in the direction you want it to go! Deffinately worth the $ for a high quality reflector if your plants are relying on the artificial light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Tony! Yep these are the 34" saltwater reef tubes (6500k). Since I already own this setup I go with it.

Have you any lumen info on the 105 watt spiral compact Floros that fit a regular light socket? They're about 12" long and daylight color temp but none of the ebay sellers mention the lumen rating. And I've not seen them in shops yet. I've noticed those 26 W spirals seem really dim.

I always make a reflector out of aluminum flashing in any light hood / setup I build. The angles may not be perfect but it at least helps from loosing that light to the canopy top. Side reflectors (on an empty fish tank or garden area) are awesome helpers too. My Neps colored right up when the foil flaps were added to my tanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Thanks for the info Tony! Yep these are the 34" saltwater reef tubes (6500k). Since I already own this setup I go with it.

Have you any lumen info on the 105 watt spiral compact Floros that fit a regular light socket?

Something like this?
    105w spiral cfl
    That one there says 5000 lumens

Here you can compare a few different ones. Looks like they can go upwards of 7000 lumens too depending which bulb you end up with
    More 105w cfl spirals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again Tony!
    Yes, on that second link the ones at the top "Energy Miser", they've got the straight tubes on the twisty screw in ballast-base. The lumens don't look too shabby on paper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12