What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Money Spent?

• Thread starter Halt
  • Start date
Okay LOL, I want to know how much you guys spent, if you can remember over the years, but if you can i would geatly want to know, how much of you are addicted to this more than life allows it. :x Now everylittle thing counts, but as for water i don't think it would.I think many are curious as well as I am.

As for me, i've spent 100- i think.. around 80-90$ xP

SK spent more than that on one plant.. -.-:crazy:

id estimate around $9000 on plants (CPs and other), plant supplies, and othe rplant related stuff. This doesnt count the GH lol.

MMMK well this will be fun. lets see how i can do this :)
Greenhouse - 650$
Growrack - 40$
Lighting - 120$ total
pots - 120 (mini bog pots were quite expensive Lol)
Nepenthes ALONE - ive probably spent close to 800 or so o_O; alot of my neps came from generous people Lol
Other CPs - upwards of 600 as well, from that Lowes Rescue mainly.
and water, errr probably around 50$ or so on water, maybe a little more...time to get an RO unit...

Do you mean just on CPs? I doubt I've spent much more than $50 on CPs, but I've spent way more than that to ship CPs.

no clue.....dont spend much on Cp's.......do mostly trades there but i suppose ive spent a few hundred in the last couple years on shipping trades back and forth alone......prolly spent a couple grand on plants for the yard the last few years.....

$3000 just on pitcher plants and venus flytrap last year. But I have a commercial plant nursery!

Hmm. Now that I think about it, I haven't really spent as much as I thought.
CPs- About 375?
Water- I wouldn't be surprised if I've spent over 50.
Pots- Probably 30.
Soil- 30 or less?
And 18 dollars for a tank.

I just added up from my order history from different places, and I think I've spent around $330.

OH i forgot the 50$ i spent on a tank LOL

Hmm... I'm sure I've spent over $500 on plants, but probably less than $1000. A lot of my collection is seedgrown or from trades, which helps keep costs low. Probably about $400 on lights and racks, but those do double-duty as lighting and shelving in my house. I get all of my pots secondhand, but I've probably spent $100-$200 on trays and other containers, and at least as much on potting mixes. My water filter was $90 - I don't want to think about how much money I wasted buying water from the store before that. Nor do I want to think about electrical costs - they're probably fairly reasonable but after four or five years I know it's still going to be an upsettingly large sum of money. I can at least take comfort in the fact that my plants pretty much pay for themselves these days.
~Joe

I just spend $38 on a Cephalotus, which was the most I've ever paid for a plant. But yeah, I've probably spent more than a thousand dollars during my entire life growing carnivorous plants.

Ugh...No comment, lol. :p It's just way more than I'd like to think about.

I've spent about 500 or 600 hundred dollars on plants so far.

We're only covering CPs? My Nepenthes addiction from 2000-2006 probably ate up $3000-5000 counting plants, building grow chambers & related equipment, the R/O unit, plastic pots, LFS and Orchid bark.

If we throw in Orchids we can surely add another $2000+ , aroids, ferns & other miscellaneous plants at least another $500 and that's surely being "conservative" probably closer to $1000.

No mention of "maintenance" costs of electricity for lights & the highland chambers A/C unit running every night May - Sept for 4 years. Or the rather extensive botanical library comprising most plants I have any sort of interest in at all even if I'll never grow many of them (I'm as much a book nut a a plant nut).

But all this spread over almost a decade long hobby isn't so bad really. The happiness it imparted was more than worth the paper I wasted. My old pals from high school likely all drank up the same amount $$ I did and haven't got anything to show for that but bad livers. lol!

Or the rather extensive botanical library comprising most plants I have any sort of interest in at all even if I'll never grow many of them (I'm as much a book nut a a plant nut).

lets not go there...........the books are piling up darn near faster than i can buy book shelves.......the basement is going to be darn near wall to wall books........

I've even been thinking about buying a small public storage unit somewhere for books I'm not using "at the moment" but don't wanna part with. Any empty space will be quickly refilled though with either new books or a new terrarium, I know me too well!

im sure ive got more money in books than in firearms, and thats saying alot.......love my books.......cant walk out of a used book store for under $100.....also have a massive collection of magazines aswell.....

I did finally with great reluctance give up 20+ years of heavy metal mags for lack of space. From well known glossies I'd bought at the gas station across the street as a 10 year old to completely obscure xeroxed zines I'd been mailed over the years as a metal writer. A number of of those not even in English (U ever see a Greek heavy metal magazine? Greek IS the heavy metal alphabet!). Add to that concert fliers and posters from all over. It occupied an entire closet floor to ceiling. After finally being free of that pile I've never allowed myself collect mags again.

I still miss all that heap sometimes when I let myself think of it, all those memories invested in studying every interview, photo and advertisements for classic LPs of bands long forgotten to all but us few crazies...

Hey! Who threw out all my mags??

Good topic. I was just thinking of this the other day and tallied it up. Since I started the hobby about 3 years ago, I'm into it about $1300, including supplies such as lights, light electricity, growrack, tds, water, pots, potting media, etc, etc.

I thought that was a lot... until I saw some your guys' amounts. Makes me not feel so bad, and makes me think it's time to blow some more $$$ :banana2:

Around 2 grand. :p

Back