What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fluorecent light life

Does anyone know how long T8 fluorecent lights would last before I would have to swap them out to maintain light intensity and quality? They are on for about 15 hours a day. I know that i will have to replace them a while before they die to be useful to my plants, but how soon?

I have been told the every 6 months is best. I do it about every year as I buy the higher end grow bulbs. With my reptiles I have to replace my bulbs every 6-12 months.

I think a good rule of thumb is once a year. They start losing a lot of intensity if left in for very long.

I'm cheap, I don't replace mine until they fail to light at all.

only been in this for 7 months, haven't changed em yet, yay, another expense (note the sarcasm..heu heu ;) )

Joseph has to be cheap because he burns like 8 tubes over each flat, LOL, same as I used to, so he can get away with it. I pretty much would let mine fail, but it isn't so critical if you have a lot of them as when you have few or one since all are maturing at a different rate. I believe and may be wrong that studies said 8 months for optimal spectrum.

Always best to incorporate some real sunlight too, even if only partial, whenever possible.

Cheers!

Back