User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Just how lucky are we?

  1. #1
    SirKristoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Puyallup, WA United States
    Posts
    4,132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Just how lucky are we?

    Ill start from the beginning with this, since it covers a couple of topics having to do with my highschool here in Washington.
    Earlier this year, beginning of winter/late fall time frame our Marine Biology class took a trip down to a pond to observe local wildlife and plantlife. this pond requires a bit of a hike through some bushs, trees, and small patch of woods. 1 day later, before the other Marine Biology class headed out, the Junior High next door reported a black bear or brown bear in the area (dont remember which it was) and the school was basically placed on lock down.

    Today - on the way to the school, upon arrival deer were spotted in the Junior Highschool parking lot, and wandered over into our highschool parking lot. 1 hour later, a mature male buck was found dead with puncture wounds in its neck. we were told at first it was a cougar, and once again placed on lock down. We later heard from the principal, that it was a coyote. Which is incredibly unlikely if you ask me, as coyotes hunt in packs, and would have left more than just puncture wounds on the neck. i still believe it was a cougar. much better a deer than a student, what ever it was.

    Our school is just a mile or so from some mountains, and faces Mount Rainier....Who's great idea was it to place schools in the middle of the woods?! lol

  2. #2
    Your one and only pest! Ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    1,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got had to stay inside during 3rd grade because someone saw a fox, it turned out to be a turkey.

  3. #3
    rattler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    missing, presumed dead
    Posts
    8,554
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    Today - on the way to the school, upon arrival deer were spotted in the Junior Highschool parking lot, and wandered over into our highschool parking lot. 1 hour later, a mature male buck was found dead with puncture wounds in its neck. we were told at first it was a cougar, and once again placed on lock down. We later heard from the principal, that it was a coyote. Which is incredibly unlikely if you ask me, as coyotes hunt in packs, and would have left more than just puncture wounds on the neck. i still believe it was a cougar. much better a deer than a student, what ever it was.

    Our school is just a mile or so from some mountains, and faces Mount Rainier....Who's great idea was it to place schools in the middle of the woods?! lol

    coulda been in a fight with another buck........its not common but occasionally they wont tangle up just right and the horns of one will puncture the other one.........run across a few dead ones like that
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

  4. #4
    SirKristoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Puyallup, WA United States
    Posts
    4,132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    coulda been in a fight with another buck........its not common but occasionally they wont tangle up just right and the horns of one will puncture the other one.........run across a few dead ones like that
    lol yeah i didnt think of that really. but the wounds were supposed bite marks...who knows, with all the cougars, coyotes, and bears being seen around here lately, could be anything....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    We got had to stay inside during 3rd grade because someone saw a fox, it turned out to be a turkey.
    lmao how do you get a fox mixed up with a turkey?!

  5. #5
    rattler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    missing, presumed dead
    Posts
    8,554
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    given the mix ups ive seen i wouldnt doubt there is a screw up on someone in identifying it as a bite mark versus an antler wound......antler wounds can look like they were made by a big set of canines.....we had a mountain lion running around here this fall.....you wouldnt believe the number of ppl that cant tell a cougar track from one from a dog.......also looked over a few bite marks some swore were cougar.....nope just a dog........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

  6. #6
    Your one and only pest! Ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    1,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't all big cat prints not have claws, but wolves and dogs do?

  7. #7
    rattler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    missing, presumed dead
    Posts
    8,554
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    basically.....there are other differences.....be surprised at how many ppl that have dogs and cats cant tell which made what rack in their yard though
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Similar Threads

  1. All you people are so lucky........
    By Starman in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 08:19 PM
  2. Lucky day!
    By schloaty in forum Orchids
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-08-2003, 03:02 PM
  3. Lucky
    By Tim in forum Cactus and other Succulents
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-17-2003, 05:30 AM
  4. Not so lucky bamboo
    By unknownclown in forum Miscellaneous Plants
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-07-2003, 08:10 AM
  5. Lucky Bamboo
    By Pyro in forum Miscellaneous Plants
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-07-2002, 02:37 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •