Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pitcher plant wasp

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This photo is from wild S. rubra ssp. rubra plants in the sandhills ecoregion, NC. I would guess hymenopteran. I've seen Exyra larvae in traps before but do they cause stringy organic debris to accumulate this much?
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    — Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DroseraBug View Post
    This photo is from wild plants in the sandhills ecoregion, NC. I would guess hymenopteran. I've seen Exyra larvae in traps before but do they cause stringy organic debris to accumulate this much?

No. Exyra does not stuff the pitchers with straw is what I tried to say. The pictures in this thread (both of them) are NOT the work of Exyra moths. They are the work of a totally different inquiline that uses the pitchers as a hatchery rather than killing the pitchers as exyra does. I was merely stating that I disagree with Mr.FT's assessment that this is a parasitic wasp that will decimate the sarracenia.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokken View Post
    Evidently this wasp is catching prey that will serve as food for its offspring and then sealing it to prevent other predators from catching its eggs. I agree with with ElGecko's assessment and would further venture say that it's a beneficial relationship between the sarras and the wasp in that the fecal matter from their larva and physical breakdown of prey probably benefit the plant while the wasp larva get protection and lodging from the plant.
    The plant would probably get a lot more nutrition of the pitchers were open the full growing season than from a few trapped and paralyzed insects.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Description at one of the ICPS websites: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5520.html
    Ya'll were on que with the life history/life cycle/behavioral characteristics. It the Sarracenia wasp (Isodontia philadelphicus) or similar. It also shows the lynx spider which I've had in my backyard.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    — Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    The plant would probably get a lot more nutrition of the pitchers were open the full growing season than from a few trapped and paralyzed insects.

No refuting that. I would remove it just on basis of aesthetics alone, but the relationship seems to be more commensal than parasitic in nature like in the case of exyra.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, let these wasps live, I mean they are just as threatened as wild sars right? Whats one cheap flava to a threatened wild wasp?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DroseraBug View Post

S. 'Cthulhu'?
    ¯\(º_o)/¯ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks kind of like ZZ Top of Sarracenia.

That's really neat though, I would probably let the Wasp keep it up considering that:

A.) Like someone said, they are probably at least threatened.
    B.) I really wouldn't feel like messing with a beast of that size and capacity.

Looks like it could do some pain!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast