Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pitcher plant wasp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to give a public service announcement regarding this, since no one else is thinking of this possibility...

Guys, let these wasps live, I mean they are just as threatened as wild sars right? Whats one cheap flava to a threatened wild wasp?
    Unless they pose a deadly threat to the gardener, thank you much. I would choose my own life over theirs were it me. I don't know if anyone else here has reactions, but if you do, don't take chances with your own life for some stupid wasp no matter if it's threatened or not.

If you get no more than an itch and bump from a sting, by all means, let stay if you want.

Bee, wasp, and insect stings cause more deaths in the United States than any other kind of envenomation (injection of venom). Wasps and bees cause 30 to 120 deaths each year in the U.S. Most deaths occur in people 35-45 years of age. Fifty percent of deaths occur within 30 minutes of the sting. [even with the immediate use of epinephrine!]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you been stung by them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been stung because I don't mess with them. Leaving them alone is the best advice I can give anyone especially if you are allergic!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three times in the past 10 yrs, and the last one sent me to the ER in upper stage 3 anaphylaxis, just a hair away from stage 4. Anytime someone recommends venomous species being allowed to live where people actively work hands-on, there needs to be serious consideration given and at least a disclaimer for people who have that condition.

Also, just because you've never had a reaction doe not mean that you never will. I got stung off and on all through childhood and never had a reaction until my late teens. Ever since, it has been a present condition. So everyone who has never had a reaction should take care as well.

Leaving them alone is the best advice I can give anyone especially if you are allergic!
    Obviously leave them alone, but they find me! I didn't go looking to get stung either time. And that is the way it happens. Leave them be, but if they are around, they will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh also I never meant chose its life over yours! O_o If they can kill you please kill them by all means!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just sayin' that should be mentioned. ;-) I didn't think anyone meant that. It's just that I like to see it mentioned for the benefit of anyone who may be lurking and reading this. Some people think more of other creatures than themselves and need to see something like that plainly mentioned sometimes. Kind of like the "hot!" warning that comes with coffee. Sure, it should go without saying, but sometimes it needs saying.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123