What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you ever feed your plants pieces of yourself?

• Thread starter Wolfn
  • Start date

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Have you ever fed your plants pieces of yourself? For example, I occasionally feed my plants pieces of dead skin, toe-nail clippings, drops of blood, etc.

Does anyone else do this?

What plants have you done this with and what was the effect?

It's all fun and games until their tendrils start reaching for you when you're not expecting it...lol!

The thing I would expect for skin/toenail clippings would be the same as feeding it a cricket that has had all it's "good stuff"(guts) already sucked out of it (yuck) but essentially it's like sitting down to a meal of crab legs only to find the meats all gone and you just have empty shells. :(

As for blood that may have nutrients and minerals but it may be too rich and rot the trap. I fed blood worms to my Neps before and a number of traps I did that to rotted. But when I fed them frozen crickets on a weekly/bi-weekly basis they gained progressively larger pitchers and faster growth. I also gave them light doses (1/4 tea spoon per gallon) of Urea Free orchid fertilizer every 3-4 watering (apx. once a week) and overpowered them with lots of light and high humidity. But feeding did really help make them take off compared to before I started feeding them regularly. I've never put my own blood in the pitchers, not out of sqeamishness, it's just, how many cups of blood should I donate to a single 14" N. Miranda pitcher? Much less 6 of them and the 50+ other Neps? I'd haveta slay half the neighborhood! lol! :D

MN Man Arrested In "Feeding Frenzy" Murders

"I'm telling you the plants told me to do it!" he shouted repeatedly as he was led from the Hennepin County courtroom Friday to begin serving 15 consecutive life sentences...

Oh yeah, sometimes I cut off a finger or toe for my plants. They really love it...... Lol, reminds me of Little Shop of Horrors. I might try the blood thing once, just to see what would happen.

hair is a wonderful expermental vehicle. It dissolves into a gross goup! Ive fed them random chunks of me on occasion...i think we've all tossed the demons a hang nail here or there. Its OK, you can confess. :)

I'm not completely sure why, but this is one of those ideas that I would be too disgusted to attempt.
Seeing a Drosera regia curl around a drop of my blood would probably make me vomit.

Bary Rice speaks of it in his website.

hair is a wonderful expermental vehicle. It dissolves into a gross goup! Ive fed them random chunks of me on occasion...i think we've all tossed the demons a hang nail here or there. Its OK, you can confess. :)

I didn't think hair easily dissolved - that's why cats cough up hairballs and people find trichobezoars in the stomachs of cows. All hair - regardless of color - changes to black when exposed to the acids and enzymes of the stomach, but for the most part, keratin takes a LONG time to dissolve.

I didn't think hair easily dissolved - that's why cats cough up hairballs and people find trichobezoars in the stomachs of cows. All hair - regardless of color - changes to black when exposed to the acids and enzymes of the stomach, but for the most part, keratin takes a LONG time to dissolve.

Maybe you should try it. I'm skeptical as well.

What plants have you done this with and what was the effect?

I fed toe-nail clippings to my Nepenthes Ventricosa and it digested them down to a pulp. I put a drop of blood on a Pinguicula leaf and the leaf curled up and dissolved the blood.

i want to thank you all for actually making me feel normal :D

lol, I agree with you rattler, when I get cuts I think band-aid not "oh, red plant food!" :nono:

lol, I agree with you rattler, when I get cuts I think band-aid not "oh, red plant food!" :nono:

But when you feed yourself to the plant, it gets digested by the plant. Then, your body parts become the plant

(okay, I stole that line from "Little Shop of Horrors", but still......)

I don't understand why others would think people who grow CPs are weird, then someone posts something like this. You've made Rattler feel normal and do you know how difficult that is and how disoriented he must feel?

Come on. It's every person's fantasy (or at least it was mine when I was younger) to take a Venus Fly Trap, feed it some of your blood, and then see if it starts talking.

Fantasy or acid flashback?
~Joe

Come on. It's every person's fantasy (or at least it was mine when I was younger) to take a Venus Fly Trap, feed it some of your blood, and then see if it starts talking.

dude, if my plants start talking to me im breaking out the RoundUp and checking my arse into a loony bin...... :crazy:

Back