What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

YUCK! Green dyed Long Fibered Sphagnum!

I was at a plant nursery today and saw something most hideous, green dyed long fibered sphagnum moss. It was all they had. I didn't need any but if I did I'd have been going to look elsewhere. The stuff they dye and sell for plant arrangements is gross but this was somehow just plainly blasphemous! lol! I wonder if it would be able to sprout like the regular blond/reddish stuff after it has been dyed green?

Have a look at this:
http://www.lusterleaf.com/MossLongFiberSphagnum/pages/1445.html

The online photo makes it look like a totally other kind of plant material....

In real life it is not that color with varying shades but rather the flat green of street signs!

Another quality product by Luuuuuster leaf.

ew! don't use that, i remember i saw the same thing in fake flower arrangements, they use that as bedding.

Is it really dyed green? Or is the bag just green-tinted plastic? I can't quite tell, the pic is kinda vague...

Looks more like a green bag than green-dyed sphagnum.

Oh. Well, then. Would they also bring harm to regular houseplants?

I don't think I'll ever find out, the nursery/plant leasing shop my aunt works at has boring plants but at least has decent LFS. I was just shocked that was all they had in the orchid section for LFS at this place that has such nice / rare plants and an awesome selection of Jiffy seedling tray sizes that you can't even find on ebay.

Ughwhugh...:puke:

That is truly unrighteous.

wow that moss looks soo ugly, why even dye it green to begin with?

What a waste of sphagnum.

maybe they want to show that its already a live

This stuff is used with silk flowers and other artificial plants.

Yes, traditionally dyed moss is used for those arrangements. Yet there it was, lurking in the orchid section along with sacks of orchid bark and the words "ideal for orchids" printed on the bag. My second image link shows the brand they had at Linder's. I guess it's not earth shattering unless they quit selling the undyed stuff everywhere. Which still may not be earth shattering, unless the dying process will prevent it from germinating... That would suck.

I sort of considered the living spahgnum as an indicator of my growing conditions. If my moss started to go downhill I could figure that something was "off" and needed attention. Either the R/O filter needed to be changed, my lamps were too old, etc. Live moss is more finicky than Neps and serves as a good early warning system. If this dyed moss product won't germinate that'll eliminate that little trick.

It seems a natural progression, a simple step up from those "naturally" dyed landscape mulches. But we don't want green, now we want that ugly red. Oh, wait, no we don't.

Yeah, they've got some wild colors deep into mulch season these days at Home Depot. Won't be long people will be mulching plants with their "team colors". lol! :D

Back