What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White (6000K) LED light panels?

Has anyone seen or used in person these daylight colored 225 LED light panels?

http://cgi.ebay.com/225-LED-AQUARIUM-GROW-LIGHT-PANEL-HYDROPONIC-WHITE-110V_W0QQitemZ220380571412QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item220380571412&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1199|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

I bought some red/blue ones in a round screw in socket configuration a couple years back when they first came out but it looked like I was growing orchids and Neps under a stop light. :(
I didn't use them long enough to see what effect they had long term. This panel LOOKS good however by being 6000K color temp. They look rather tempting to get for inside my highland chamber as they'd be super cool in temp compared to any other lamp and take almost no energy but are they worthless and simply cause etoliation by not actually being bright? They have a set of 4x 12" by 12" panels for $150 which would be higher than I wanted to spend per shelf but if I save on paying the power cost to run them and essentially never have to replace them that may make up for it in the long run - if they're usable lights.

These are becoming more and more popular with reef keeping, and I know that they are very affective and extremely efficient. However the led's being used for that are way more expensive than the ones in your link, so it would be hard to tell how affective these really are.
Heres an example of 20000k led's some people are using on their reef aquariums: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+18689&pcatid=18689

Maybe the color temperature is what the price is all about...?

Good luck! If you decide to get these please tell how well they work.
Matt

Well, I couldn't resist, I placed a bid on a set of 4 panels so if I win I'll let you all know what's up. Hopefully someone can chime in having used/seen the white panels like this. The red and blue screw ins were horrible looking. BTW I have 8 Red and Blue screw in LEDs available... lol! One ad shows these installed in a tank canopy. I hate lighting ads cos they either look too dark or too bright but neither are realistic when you see them in person.

Seems there are name brand items (UFO, PFO, etc) that charge insane amounts for LED setups and then there are no-names who's stuff goes for these prices. High enough that you don't wanna just plurge incase it's a waste but low enough to make it seem plausible...

I commented in the other thread about LED's.

i m using the red and blue led growlight i personally recomment people to try its bright and can color up ur plant very nicely

Back