User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some animals that Photosynthesize . ..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theyellowdart View Post
    Very nice shots. Where were these taken? Somewhere in the Caribbean, or in the Pacific?
    Do these anemones contain the same zooxanthellae found in most corals?
    The photos were all taken in Northern and Southern California; and the anemones contain the same forms of zooxanthellae and zoochlorellae of corals. After all, anemones and corals are in the same phylum -- and are really oversized coral polyps (after a fashion) . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    The photos were all taken in Northern and Southern California; and the anemones contain the same forms of zooxanthellae and zoochlorellae of corals. After all, anemones and corals are in the same phylum -- and are really oversized coral polyps (after a fashion) . . .
    Oh, ok.
    For some reason, I tend to think of anemones as a completely seperate group. I guess anything that [frequently] walks around, looks like a plant/coral, and eats relatively large fish is different in my book. lol

Are you into reef tanks?
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theyellowdart View Post
    Oh, ok.
    For some reason, I tend to think of anemones as a completely seperate group. I guess anything that [frequently] walks around, looks like a plant/coral, and eats relatively large fish is different in my book. lol

Are you into reef tanks?
    Most anemones seldom move much -- except in "clone wars" -- and are generally sessile. As far as feeding on things, corals simply feed on tiny planktonic organisms and depend upon their algae for the balance. So, an anemone or a solitary coral is simply scaled-up coral (after a fashion) and jellies are planktonic -- wandering -- forms of the same . . .

No reef tanks for me. I live on the Pacific and that is quite enough . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all a matter of when you take that picture in evolutionary time, at which point the mitochondria is no longer a visitor but a squatter. When does that acquisition become a permanent feature or an organelle?
    When both cannot preform simple metabolic functions without one another's aid. It is not the strictly analogous, because the algae not only can but usually does function without the protection of the anemone. The anemone simply obtains the initial algae from its surroundings- the two are not interdependent. Beneficial partnership, yes, but not necessary for one of the members. That hardly counts as an organelle.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also several species of Nudibranch (sea slugs) can photosynthesize because they eat cnidaria (ie corals hydras etc) and algae and somehow assimilate both the chloroplasts (some times the whole algae) and nematocysts (unfired!) into their bodies. The nematocysts are incorporated into their epidermis and the chloroplasts go directly into the intestinal tract. Very interesting and beautiful group of creatures.

Marine biology was my thing before I got into plants haha.
    -J.P.
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    When both cannot preform simple metabolic functions without one another's aid. It is not the strictly analogous, because the algae not only can but usually does function without the protection of the anemone. The anemone simply obtains the initial algae from its surroundings- the two are not interdependent. Beneficial partnership, yes, but not necessary for one of the members. That hardly counts as an organelle.
    I wasn't suggesting it was an organelle yet -- simply that it could be on the evolutionary path to becoming one. In terms of plants, chloroplasts are currently thought to be derivations of cyanobacteria -- formerly blue-green algae. Cyanobacteria are quite capable of living on their own, yet a form of them is also now an organelle in plant tissue.

Zooxanthellae and zoochlorellae are basically "hobbled' dinoflagellates (and are obligative intracellular endosymbionts) and live in the digestive tract of the anemones. In the form in which they exist among Cnidaria, they couldn't exist on their own; neither for that matter, could the anemone for long. They are interdependent, the anemone or coral for the carbohydrate products; and the algae: shelter, CO2, and fertilizer from the anemone's nitrogenous waste. Hematypic -- colonial reef-building -- corals (basically tiny anemones) are almost entirely dependent upon the symbionts and die without them. In areas where this occurs, the result is ultimately coral bleaching.

Show me anywhere where any of these symbionts are capable of living on their own . . .

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love saltwater fish and inverts! Beautiful!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    I love saltwater fish and inverts! Beautiful!
    Thanks . . .

My major was invertebrate zöology back at university; and, over the years, I have spent thousands of hours underwater, often with camera or pole-spear in hand . . .

Tealia (Urticina) Maw

Octopus II

Octopus VII

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast