Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring is here in Massachusetts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the photos.

I won't criticize Canon since that's what we have, but why are you focused on getting a Canon SLR instead of another brand? Does someone in the family already have Canon equipment? There's little doubt that Canon & Nikon have the best SLR lenses and many consider the best Canon lenses to be superior to the best Nikon lenses. However, unless you're planning to spend $500+ (or often +++) per lens, you won't be getting their best lenses. Other companies are competitive in the slightly less than exceptional lens range, so I wouldn't rule anything out yet. Be careful because all companies, including Canon and Nikon, produce a lot of garbage lenses, especially in zooms. The lens is the critical component and, although it isn't as true as it was in the days of film, the camera is just a box the lens attaches to. I assume you're especially interested in macro, so research what's available and what you can afford and let that lead you to your camera.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i thought ants were naturally blind, but i might be completely wrong about that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want a canon because I want the best macro lens, and a professional photographer gave in the best review on insect photography. I should be able to get the lens next year too. So its worth it. I also plan to take a digital photography class next year too.

Nepfreak, yes, its true that their are a lot of non-social wasps out their but, that goes for bees as well. These wasps are closer related to hornets, yellow jackets, and ants. Also their workers and queens are very borderline, the larger workers are capable of mating and laying fertile if the queen dies. Also all workers are capable of laying infertile eggs that become males. Have you ever seen those small single comb nest under roofs? Well those nests belong to poliste wasps.

Nep lover, most ants can see. Some ants can't while others can see you long before you can see them. Formica are one of the better seeing ants and most also have ocelli you see on wasps. So if you were to approach an active nest entrance you should be able to see the workers hide from you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahh ok that explains alot hehe thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I'm curious. Is it this lens http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re.../mp-e-65.shtml?

That's some impressive glass but, at $900 or so for a lens that has no use other than macro, it's way out of my league. On the other hand, that's probably money well spent for an ant person and I look forward to seeing your future photos, whether through that lens or something a little less pricey.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup! that is the one!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12