Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pistachio Recall: A True Sign of the Apocalypse

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pistachio Recall: A True Sign of the Apocalypse

How can this be? What evil is there in the world that would strike the noblest of nuts with Salmonella, no less? My favorite ice cream flavour, my all-time favorite compulsive snacking item. To hell with spinach salad, the peanut and anaphylaxis; things fall apart; the centre cannot hold.

Crap! The morning news . . . Obama acting like he's Hugo Chavez and pressuring auto executives to leave, banks tanking, the economy in turmoil; and now, truly the end of all things -- tons of pistachios recalled:

THE SECOND COMING BY W.B. YEATS

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
    Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
    The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
    When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
    Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
    A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
    A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
    Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
    Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.
    The darkness drops again but now I know
    That twenty centuries of stony sleep
    Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
    Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/31/bu...stachio&st=cse
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh gawd. That poem, it was such a headache in English last semester. T_T

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, you slack-jawed punk! What, no appreciation for Yeats? It's all comic books and video games for you?

Don't make make me come over there . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahaha, nothing against Yeats, it's a great poem and even though I talk spitefully about it, it remains one of my favorites. It just took more brainpower than I care to use to thoroughly analyze.
    But yeah, I'll take comic books and video games over Yeats any day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh sure they release this now. I just finished my huge jar of pistachios yesterday.

The banks tanking and the economy in turmoil isnt new, unless you have been in a cave for about 4 months. As for the comparison of Obama and Chavez, well you need to look into your Latin American politics more.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktulu View Post
    Oh sure they release this now. I just finished my huge jar of pistachios yesterday.

The banks tanking and the economy in turmoil isnt new, unless you have been in a cave for about 4 months. As for the comparison of Obama and Chavez, well you need to look into your Latin American politics more.

Yeah, you and me both. Is nothing sacred? A mason jar full of pistachios from Christmas . . .

I knew full well about the financial declines eighteen months ago as most everyone did; and as far as the Chavez comment was concerned, I was only joking about our lurch the toward what looks like the beginnings of nationalization (though I am sure they'll come up with a far more "friendly," "hopeful" euphemism for that) of some industries and the slippery slope it presents. Our government can't find its *** with both hands and a Michelin map, much less handle the challenges of Detroit). I spent almost four years -- up to my ****ing armpits in Latin American politics -- in Venezuela back in the 1990s; and some things do look strikingly familiar, once you get past all of the empty slogans and the university "trustafarians" in Ché Guevara t-shirts.

But, relax, it's mostly a bit of a joke about the plight of the pistachio. C'mon, including that Yeats poem? Does anyone recall hyperbole anymore?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeats is such a bore! lol!
    But I've generally found most "classic" writers/artists pretty boring for my tastes so it's nothing personal. The best thing about passing English Lit. was not having to read anymore English Lit.!

Oh come now, that auto exec surely didn't leave empty handed, I'm sure they gave him a laundry hamper full of money before he left. "Fill 'er up boys and we talk business..." Don't worry, he won't go hungry.

Latin American politics appears to be nothing but puppet governments run by US corporations and US funded military "factions". If the multi-nationals had a problem with Chavez he'd be gone already. Apparently he still "plays ball".

I've certainly been less than pleased with Obama's performance, he sold me a big bag of hope and it was bunk! That first day or so after being elected when he met with Bush 2.0 is when they must have put the electrodes in his brain. He clearly had a different expression when he emerged to say that "the meeting had been a success." Which to me sounded eerily similar to what the surgeon told me after my dad's second open heart surgery...

At least I can HOPE I won't allow myself to be suckered in again by any damn politician. Once they get on top of the throne of skulls it's all just button pushing on the same old US Government BS switchboard. Doesn't seem to matter who's pushing the buttons, they all do the same thing. We don't need a president we need an engineer!

On the other hand, Pistachios always made me queasy, now I have an excuse!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't that the guy left empty-handed and he certainly did not -- a severance package of 20 million, I heard; it was the principle -- the strong-arm threat of not getting any further government assistance without his immediate removal. In most business practices, it's known as extortion and something I didn't expect to see so soon in the Messianic Age of Obama. I have family near Napoli and there's a certain familiarity to what is beginning to happen here.

I had been so "hopeful . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Yeats is such a bore! lol!
    But I've generally found most "classic" writers/artists pretty boring.

Oh come now, that auto exec surely didn't leave empty handed, I'm sure they gave him a laundry hamper full of money before he left. "Fill 'er up boys and we talk business..." Don't worry, he won't go hungry.

Latin American politics appears to be nothing but puppet governments run by US corporations and US funded military "factions". If the multi-nationals had a problem with Chavez he'd be gone already. Apparently he still "plays ball".

I've certainly been less than pleased with Obama's performance, he sold me a big bag of hope and it was bunk! That first day or so after being elected when he met with Bush 2.0 is when they must have put the electrodes in his brain. He clearly had a different expression when he emerged to say that "the meeting had been a success." Which to me sounded eerily similar to what the surgeon told me after my dad's second open heart surgery...

At least I can HOPE I won't allow myself to be suckered in again by a damn politician. Once they get on top of the throne of skulls it's all just button pushing on the same old US Government BS switchboard. Doesn't seem to matter who's pushing the buttons, they all do the same thing. We don't need a president we need an engineer!

On the other hand, Pistachios always made me queasy, now I have an excuse!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast