What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The StarChild Skull

• Thread starter losfreddy
  • Start date

losfreddy

Composter
Heard about it last night on TV

The StarChild Skull is an unusual skull found in a cave in Mexico. It has many features that are unique including shallow eye sockets and an enlarged, symetrical skull. When DNA test were preformed it was concluded that the mother was human, and that there was something exteremly unusual about the father (father is not human). Scientist are currently running a complete genome of the Starchild's DNA. Once the genome is complete in 2009 or 2010, the results will be broadcast for the world the hear. The Starchild Skull may be indisputable proof that aliens visited the earth over 600 years ago. Pretty exciting, huh?

Be ready

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHxuU...e=channel_page

http://www.starchildproject.com/

http://www.rense.com/ufo5/skull.htm

http://www.reconnections.net/starchild_skull.jpg

love the artistic renderations......apparently most were looking at different skulls cause the bone structure is different in each of their drawings..........

ive got $20 saying its 100% human..............

There are also a number of skulls out there that have cone shaped craniums. They weren't big time SNL "Conehead" fans but rather Mayans who strapped boards to their child's heads so they would grow tubular in emulation of the young corn god. I don't know how widespread the practice was or how it may have damaged their brains growing in a vice essentially. AFAIK all the corn god skulls are small.

This particular skull looks to me like it was a head smashed with a rock and had the mouth part destroyed.

thought it was the Peruvians that did that, not sure.......actually the Egyptians did it to some extent aswell, King Tut's skull was modified to be sorta cone shaped, not to the extent of the Peruvians though.........cranial modification isnt actually all that uncommon.......

http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/nparr/index_files/Page398.htm

When DNA test were preformed it was concluded that the mother was human, and that there was something exteremly unusual about the father (father is not human).

It said on one of your links it was male and BOTH parents are human... :nono:

Are you sure you didn't see a starchild on the triangular UFO that abducted you? :p

Atleast this time it wasn;t about a homemade UFO in your backyard :D

whoever named this was drunk.

Yup, it looks like a severly deformed human skull. Intentional modification of the skull shape is very common among humans. Andean cultures, Mesoamerican cultures, and South Eastern US cultures all participated in it. They all created slightly different shapes as well. This skull could easily be the result of a poorly performed cradle boarding hence the reason it doesnt look very good.

The DNA testing is BS. PCR replication is not reliable on ancient skeletons. In fact it is fairly iffy on anything that is more than about 50 years old, and thats if it has received proper curatiation. There is no archaeological context or associated material. Everything else just happened to be lost in a conveient flood even though they had survived for 900+ years according to the site. The morphological changes like muscle attachments appear to be a result of the deformation to the skull, as they would alter along with shape. Sagital suture is as good as rolling dice when it comes to age estimates past about 3 years old. And these are all the problems I found just skimming the stuff. Please show me something actually scientific.

im going with stoned.....either on pot or acid
I should think either chemical would produce a better name than Starchild, that was Paul Stanley's character name in the KISS and the Phantom of the Park movie. lol!

Ktulu,
I'm surprised that there were so many cranium altering cultures, I'd only seen pics of the corn-god coneheads. I wonder how that sort of thing affected peoples mental development. Obviously if they grew up to be boy-kings (Tut) it wasn't immediately perilous physically but I wonder how emotions or other mental processes could be altered by these kinds of procedures? Are there any cultures doing this now? Were only certain people selected for this "cranial readjustment"?

Swords,
There are many more cultures than I mentioned that did this, I know there are some old world cultures that did cranial deformation but I just don't remember which ones, though South East Asia comes to mind for some reason, but that is a total guess. I do not believe it affected the mental capacity of the individuals that underwent it in any measurable way. It appears the brain just reorients its self in the skull and should only have negligible affects on mental capacity. Diet likely had a bigger impact on their brain development than cradle boarding, as this process must be started within weeks of being born for it to be truly effective. I believe the biggest risk is wrapping the child's head too tightly until gray ooze comes out their ears, though the high plasticity of the human skull before the plates begin to fuse makes this unlikely. I am not aware of any cultures that still do this, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Though Americans do something very similar when they get those helmets to make their children have perfectly round skulls. As for who had the deformation in every culture I am aware of that did this it was a sign of elite/special status. So the rich and the famous had their heads misshapen in stead of owning a lot of "bling".

If you really want to see some really extreme cases of cradle boarding do a google image search for Paracas culture skulls. Crazy shaped skulls. Plus there are lots of trepanned skulls, but that's a whole different can of worms.

The DNA testing is BS. PCR replication is not reliable on ancient skeletons. In fact it is fairly iffy on anything that is more than about 50 years old, and thats if it has received proper curatiation...

As a geneticist I take exception to that comment. DNA testing is most certainly not BS. If properly executed it is a wealth of data. But the number of people who actually get it vs. the number of people who think they get it means that someone who is a slick talker can fleece those people in the latter group.

And if they were doing PCR to "type" this thing then there is your problem. PCR can not "type" species. For that you need something like a SOLiD or an Illumina not to mention a reference sequence... All PCR does is amplify any given region of DNA...

I was not attacking DNA testing itself. I think the process itself is completely valid, I was saying their application of and interpretations of the testing was BS. I am sorry if you thought I was attacking DNA testing as a process, that was not my intent.

As an archaeologists I am not aware of a single instance where DNA testing was reliably used to sequence ancient human DNA. They have done PCR on several occasions and every time the results either come back as no DNA present or there questionable techniques used and contamination is a real possibility.

Though Americans do something very similar when they get those helmets to make their children have perfectly round skulls.

Crazy, I didn't know anyone strapped anything to babies heads other than bonnets. lol!

Treppanation is drilling the skull in early brain surgery right?

C
Treppanation is drilling the skull in early brain surgery right?

yep........surprisingly though its popped up in cultures that should have very lil concept of something that complex.....also surprising the number of cultures its popped up in.....IIRC its even showed up on some neanderthal skulls

treppenation in the Andes is practiced quite early, quite extensively and had a very high survival rate about 2/3 would survive. They obviously were more intelligent than we like to think they were.

As for the video freddy that is the same video where he says the same thing and honestly doenst make any sense.

treppenation in the Andes is practiced quite early, quite extensively and had a very high survival rate about 2/3 would survive. They obviously were more intelligent than we like to think they were.

thats kinda what i was getting at......alot of these "primitive peoples" sometimes had a quite good grasp on some rather complex subjects, they were a hell of alot smarter overall than most give them credit for.....that type of "brain surgery" being but one of them......

I once saw a documentary, maybe on PBS, about modern treppenation and the adherents described all kinds of mind-expanding benefits. A skeptic who was interviewed pointed out that pretty much all of them had been into hallucinogens and how that might have, um, colored their experiences and descriptions.

I'd like to know how a society that molds skulls into special shapes is weirder than a society that encourages people to gorge on subsidized food, get the fat sucked out and the skin tucked and to then go through the whole process again.

As for that whole primitive people thing, all of us would be in a whole lot of trouble if we ever had to build a car or antibiotic from scratch, while "primitive people" could do pretty much everything necessary for their lives. In fact, not only can I not make a Stanley hammer, I can't even make a stone hammer. A former friend of mine who's an archaeologist learned how to make stone tools and, if society collapses, I'm looking for him.

Back