Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snow in April

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never lost one plant this winter and they were covered in snow for weeks at a time. The picture you showed is nothing compared to what I have seen. There is a CP dealer in Portland Oregon that keeps their plants out year round. Rain, snow, hail and all. You can even find videos or pictures of thier nursery 6 inches + under snow. If weather is below 20 degrees I would personally cover the rhizomes with about 2-3 inches of covering be it pine needles or whatever. North American CP's are very cold hardy. I have had pitchers freeze completly through enzyme solution and all. they were fine and are doing well. It snows here still every few days and doesnt get much above 45 degree F until may.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's colder in Ashland than here I guess. Last year we had snow here in late April -- the 20th.

But things are kinda warming up.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Oregon_CP View Post
    I never lost one plant this winter and they were covered in snow for weeks at a time. The picture you showed is nothing compared to what I have seen. There is a CP dealer in Portland Oregon that keeps their plants out year round. Rain, snow, hail and all. You can even find videos or pictures of thier nursery 6 inches + under snow. If weather is below 20 degrees I would personally cover the rhizomes with about 2-3 inches of covering be it pine needles or whatever. North American CP's are very cold hardy. I have had pitchers freeze completly through enzyme solution and all. they were fine and are doing well. It snows here still every few days and doesnt get much above 45 degree F until may.
    It's the plants in this thread that are in question. So do you think they can tolerate these temps for a week? They were in a co-worker's garage for the past 3.5 months, with temps in the mid-to-upper 30's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, I have a thunderstorm coming and you had a snowstorm. Any way, its gonna be the low 60's here tomorrow. No more snow for me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

I'd be a little worried about the lows (28 F). I know that if they've already seen warmer temps and are coming out of dormancy, they will die. Multiple freezes and woken up plants just don't mix.

But my filiformis do not survive temps that low, period. Your sarrs should do fine. I'd be worried about the VFTs. Maybe cover them up a bit.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may just put them in the garage for the next few days. They won't get any light but it will be above freezing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you still have some leaves around from fall, a loose covering of leaves an inch or two deep provides lots of protection and, while it's shade, it doesn't disrupt the daily light cycle. I worry more about freeze-thaw cycles than about sustained freezes and a blanket of leaves evens things out. Even for relatively non-acclimated plants, I think they don't care whether they're kept a little above or a little below 32, as long as they aren't bouncing between extremes.

As for late snow (by eastern standards) it snowed all day on Mother's Day when we were visiting my mother-in-law in Lake Placid, NY a number of years ago. It started the previous evening and didn't quit until shortly before we left Monday morning. There was a distinct snow line as we drove downhill and it was sunny and 70+ only a couple hours south out of the Adirondacks. It isn't just elevation, because Lake Placid is only at ~1,800 ft and that much elevation is only worth about 5 degrees of cooling. I think the mountains around town are just short of 5,000 ft., but that's enough to make simple weather become dramatic as it lifts itself a few thousand feet to pass by.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats an idea... kinda like a wildbill thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast