What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What anti-virus/spyware do you use?

• Thread starter JMurphy97
  • Start date
So I just bought a new laptop and it comes with 60 days of norton but I was told it sucks. So I'm just wondering what I should get to protect it and my information. What do you use?

Well, have Norton, and when I laptop recently got infected with viruses, it did NOTHING. Then, a member here, don't remember who, told me to use avast! and it was great. It was a bit confusing for me to use, but it did help. THEN, my dad took my laptop and practically fixed my computer using McAfee. So I reccommend both, but I like McAfee better.

Webroot Spy Sweeper. Also does virus. Excellent program, I wouldn't recommend anything else.

I use the free version of AVG. No complaints; very easy to use and effective. It has gotten rid of several viruses on my pc in the past.

E-set NOD32, top antivirus out there, does everything and anything, check out the reviews on it, Norton really does suck, absolutely horrible

What's the word on ad-aware plus? I says it is virus and spyware for $27.

Eset Nod 32 and Spybot search and destroy,and Comodo Firewall.

Kaspersky is annoying but efficient.

I have Windows Live OneCare, its been virus and spyware free for 2 years (since I got it)

If I can get it free that's great, but if I have to pay that's fine too but I don't want to pay for a crap system. I did the AVG internet security for now but the scan is coming up on 26 minutes so far. Plus what do you do after the free trail period and don't want to buy it?

I stick with Norton completely. I had McAfee a few years ago and thought it was utter garbage. The user interface was confusing, and it turned out that the program wasn't even functioning properly. I have never been let down by Norton, and give it two big thumbs up.

Remember, no Anti-Virus is good if you don't use it properly. First, be careful about where you travel on the internet. Secondly, make sure your anti-virus is updated and running frequent scans. It can't catch stuff if it isn't updated on what to look for!

Whatever I use whenever it says scan for updates I let it do it so that won't be a problem. I think I'm gonna go with the ad-aware plus. It even scans the ipod and it's only $27.

Check with your ISP. They may offer subscribers FREE AV software. Most ISP's do that now.

On all windows computers I setup I use Avast Home Edition(avast.com). It's completely free(free 90 day which requires a free registration for serial code good for 14 months, then just re-register to renew). I havent had the need to use any other AV since I've found this one.

oh, and for spyware, even though it sometimes confuses the crap out of me, i use spybot search & destroy, which is also completely free.

~billy

I also wholeheartedly recommend avast! Antivirus and Spybot: Search & Destroy. They are free to use and they consume very few resources. I have tried many different antivirus and spyware removal programs, but I keep going back to avast! & Spybot: S&D.

I use the free AVG. I just found and killed a virus that had escaped my partner's anti-virus system that he almost spread to me via a thumb drive. I like this software.

Windows XP: AVG Free

OS X: nothing at all :-D

Avast or Webroot... you can't go wrong with either one...

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and McAfee.

The first one is really good -- I recommend it.

Back