Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's eat some cactus!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Man, Swords, you are really rockin' the "sounds like drugs" topic titles lately. lol

I've always been interested to see some dishes that people make with those, so thanks for sharing!
    »\(║_o)/» ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nopalitos!

Here's a pic of a vendor selling the harvested and pre-sliced pads (mod resize if needed)
    People eat them raw (very "cool" tasting some people say like watermelon but I don't taste that similarity.) or boiled, steamed, sauteed or fried. Next time I'm gonna make fajitas with the cacti fried in long strips as you see here.

Barbecued pineapple! Reminds me of the "kebabs" we made at the Renaissance faire, mushrooms, pineapple and onions with some sort of terriyaki-like sauce and grilled - oh yeah! nothing like traditional dark age European foods! lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    however if yah got a gas grill......fire it up and get it as hot as it will go......slice up the pineapple, melt some butter(real butter, not the fake crap), dip the pineapple slices in the melted butter than get them good and completely covered with cinnamon and sugar......throw them on the grill till the sugar/cinnamon/butter mixture caramelizes flipping them once in the process and you have an outstanding snack.........my wife will eat them till she makes herself sick.......if yah feel like experimenting, throw some vanilla in the butter or add some allspice to the cinnamon/sugar mix........
    Oh wow, that sounds good. I might just have to try that some time. Pineapples are still great fresh. I tried cutting one up to eat, but the center is all hard, so I ended up throwing a lot of it away.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moo buy a "pineapple corer" otherwise cleaning them is a nightmare - ah the miracle of canned fruit!

Man, Swords, you are really rockin' the "sounds like drugs" topic titles lately. lol
    I'm just having fun - it guarantees views right?!

Actually related to that and probably the impetus for my mood is that I saw the funniest thing on Dr. Phil while waiting to leave for work. Their "Dangers of Salvia" episode - I laughed my **** off! They kept showing a live plant which was not Salvia divinorum and talking about how "dangerous" and "addictive" it is, neither of which is true. Other than a sore tummy from laughing so hard I also got a great character out of the episode based on the Texas lawman, his white stetson and inability to mind his own business. lol!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moo - always remove the hard center part of pineapples, unless you enjoy bleeding from your digestive tract. The core of the pineapple is made up of tough fibers and a corrosive chemical that is used to make meat tenderizer; when you eat it, the tenderizer softens your flesh and then the abrasive fibers cut it to shreds. If you don't have a corer, cut the pineapple into quarters along the line of symmetry (so each piece has part of the top and bottom.) The core can then be trimmed from the inner corner of the pieces. If you're barbecuing, you can use it as part of a marinade or rub to make a cheap cut of meat nice and juicy. Just make sure to protect your hands while handling it, and rinse the pineapple bits off before eating.
    Nopalitos are great. There's a little Mexican restaurant nearby called "El Nopal" that specializes in them. Try them with a molÚ sauce! The sweet fruity taste goes perfectly with the richness of the molÚ.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said - the miracle of canned fruit (pineapple anyway)! lol!

Another plus for pineapple it is said that when eating them the acid enters the bloodstream and dissolves blood clots and help keep them from forming.

I've never tried mole sauce before just seen it - can you describe the taste at all?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    Moo - always remove the hard center part of pineapples, unless you enjoy bleeding from your digestive tract.The core of the pineapple is made up of tough fibers and a corrosive chemical that is used to make meat tenderizer; when you eat it, the tenderizer softens your flesh and then the abrasive fibers cut it to shreds.
    That is one of the most cringe-inducing things I have ever read. My pelvic area is now stuck in clench-mode. Thanks man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    Moo - always remove the hard center part of pineapples, unless you enjoy bleeding from your digestive tract. The core of the pineapple is made up of tough fibers and a corrosive chemical that is used to make meat tenderizer; when you eat it, the tenderizer softens your flesh and then the abrasive fibers cut it to shreds. If you don't have a corer, cut the pineapple into quarters along the line of symmetry (so each piece has part of the top and bottom.) The core can then be trimmed from the inner corner of the pieces. If you're barbecuing, you can use it as part of a marinade or rub to make a cheap cut of meat nice and juicy. Just make sure to protect your hands while handling it, and rinse the pineapple bits off before eating.
    Nopalitos are great. There's a little Mexican restaurant nearby called "El Nopal" that specializes in them. Try them with a molÚ sauce! The sweet fruity taste goes perfectly with the richness of the molÚ.
    ~Joe
    ive never heard of this....the meat tenderizer part sure but thats nothing big......dried papaya is another common meat tenderizer.....but it basically only works if yah soak the muscle fibers themselves in it......pineapple juice is full of the meat tenderizer enzyme.....thousands of ppl a day drink it with out issue......as far as the central core, after some looking i cant find what you state anywhere.........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast