Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's eat some cactus!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you ever tried to eat a piece of pineapple core? It's nearly inedible, and if you persist at it, it cuts your tongue and cheeks up. That much I know from experience. It's been a long time, but I think I read the explanation of the enzyme and fibers in the book "Cats' Paws and Catapults" by Steven Vogel. Rubbing meat down with the cores was suggested to me by one of the produce clerks at the grocery store I worked at in high school. The enzyme is present in the juice, but not in high concentration. There's more in the stem/core, which is the part that's used to make commercial meat tenderizer.
    MolÚ (molÚ poblano) is a sauce made from peppers, nuts, bitter chocolate, and onions (and garlic.) It has a rich, bittersweet, spicy flavor, with some smokiness from the peppers. It tastes kind of like some barbecue sauces, but without the tangy and overtly sweet elements - the flavors are more subtle. Definitely something you should try.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWurm View Post
    That is one of the most cringe-inducing things I have ever read. My pelvic area is now stuck in clench-mode. Thanks man.
    Want to hear some stories about my dad's trauma surgeries? He's a doctor in the Army. He does amputations.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another plus for pineapple it is said that when eating them the acid enters the bloodstream and dissolves blood clots and help keep them from forming.
    Call me a skeptic, but I don't buy it. The blood is pretty heavily buffered, and with good reason. It doesn't take much of a change in blood pH to lead to serious problems.
    »\(║_o)/» ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is a chemical in pineapple that is a blood thinner.....it aint an acid though in the way he says, its an enzyme that breaks down certain protiens called Bromelain and actually is used medically......it is recommended that ppl with certain clotting disorders not eat pineapple because of it.......as for the core being inedible, its tough, not inedible....it wont tear up your insides any more than any other high fiber fruit or veggie material.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    there is a chemical in pineapple that is a blood thinner.....it aint an acid though in the way he says, its an enzyme that breaks down certain protiens called Bromelain and actually is used medically......it is recommended that ppl with certain clotting disorders not eat pineapple because of it.
    There we go. Now we're talkin'. I always feel the need to mention the blood thing tough. Time and time again I hear people talking about how they're ingesting _________ to change their blood acidity and how great for them __________ is. :-\
    »\(║_o)/» ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    Moo - always remove the hard center part of pineapples, unless you enjoy bleeding from your digestive tract. The core of the pineapple is made up of tough fibers and a corrosive chemical that is used to make meat tenderizer; when you eat it, the tenderizer softens your flesh and then the abrasive fibers cut it to shreds.
    ~Joe
    Lovely.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you must have tougher mucous membranes than mine, because when I ate uncored pineapple my mouth was cut up bad by the time I'd had my fill. More recently, I ate pineapple and Skittles at the same time, and that was just awful. Delicious, but awful.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is some weird...stuff...in this thread. Skittles and pineapple??

I love fresh pineapple...grilled is awesome.

I have never had cactus. I always wanted to try the fruit of a prickly pear. You see a lot of that around here.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acids, enzymes, whatever it is that's how I (mis)understood it. I guess its back to Pineapples & Human Biochemistry 101 for me !

What is the difference between an acid and an enzyme? In my mind they are essentially the same thing, maybe someone can clarify?

Seed, I can cut my mouth open real easy on stuff too. I had to give up the Captain Crunch (and other good tasting sugar coated kid cereal that I love) cos it just hurt too much to eat it, what with the shredded palate after every bowl and all.

PAK, you can just think of cactus as a green pepper - that's what I was told, and what caused me to try it. I'd seen it in the stores for a long time but I never knew what people did with it! After only one dish I already like them better than GP. Instead of using a GP try a few pads of Optunia in a dish you've made before and know you like and see what you think. At least for me this is the best way to try a single new ingredient cos I know what it's supposed to taste like and I can see what this new thing does to it. It is a little stiffer than your average GP having skin on two sides. Doesn't seem to make a difference when sauteed. I don't know what it would be like baked in meatloaf or something, maybe being surrounded by juices and heated at 400*F for an hour would soften it right up... Cactusloaf! A lot of people seem to like them fried and put with scrambled eggs, I haven't tried that yet but not being a real egg fan, I may never...

Dr. Wurm, if Seeds description made you queasy what about the lyrics sheet for the first couple Carcass records (Reek of Putrefaction and Symphonies of Sickness) the ones with the autopsy collages on the covers? Those were even more uh... visually descriptive. Though you needed a medical reference and dictionary to find out just how gross some of the songs were!

(since someone will invariably want to look them up: http://www.lyricsty.com/lyrics/c/carcass/ You'll be able to tell the ones I'm talking about by the titles alone.)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast