What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holy Crap thats alot

Hamata on Ebay currently at 735$!!! and its not even vining!
holy crap congrats on THAT sale if your here LOL
[URL="http://cgi.ebay.com/Nepenthes-Hamata-carnivorous-plant-6-7-across_W0QQitemZ150337127475QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item150337127475&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50]N. hamata[/URL]

The link seems to be broken.

But MAN. Who in their right mind would pay that much?

Hmm ill TRY and fix it. but there is only a few minutes left anyway

hmmmm double what it was yesterday........at that point i almost think it was a stunt, who in their right mind would spend that much on one......especially when the seller couldnt tell yah what clone or any of that.....

There are some plants who go for nutty prices on there but a lot of sellers play games too... The last last day/hour is when the insane biding starts on most stuff. Some sellers are crappy though and won't sell the item at a low price, they cancel the auction just before it ends if there's no huge bids on it. Then they post it again the next day.

I nearly won an Aztekium hintonii for $15 but the seller canceled the auction and re-posted it the next day, same ad same pic/plant. I didn't know you could do that... He allowed the sale to go through when someone bought it for $52. You can bet I won't bother to bid on that guys stuff again.

report him to the Ebay people? even my mother says thats against the rules...
she worked for Ebay for awhile

High bids isn't proof of someone fooling around, I got $800 or something from a old 1960's tattoo machine that still worked. Some kinda "tattoo museum" in Philadelphia bought it . But I think users need to be aware of some of the games sellers play.

The thing about the little cactus was that he somehow got ebay themselves to end the auction saying "this auction is against ebay rules" but Aztekium is totally legal to have (just rare, small and painfully slow growing) and it was up again the next day. The sale was successfully completed the next week (I did check).

Ah well, I don't NEED more plants anyway until I get a new shelf built. :D

Maybe he reported himself?

Hamata on Ebay currently at 735$!!! and its not even vining!
holy crap congrats on THAT sale if your here LOL
[URL="http://cgi.ebay.com/Nepenthes-Hamata-carnivorous-plant-6-7-across_W0QQitemZ150337127475QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item150337127475&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50]N. hamata[/URL]

Yeah, I had been watching that one too. I bid early on for kicks , just to test those "stunt" waters ; but, no way, not at those prices . . .

If someone "Reports an Item" does this automatically mean it get's pulled? There was no reason for it to be pulled. Seller had perfect feedback in the hundreds.

I wonder how my old N. hamata would have done, it was two vines about 2-3 feet long each... Too many years late now though.

I won! I won! I won!

I started going crazy spending money when I found out a Nigerian is putting $15 million in my bank account. I already gave him my account number so he could put the money in right away. I'm going to start buying Florida real estate next and maybe some GM stock too, as a retirement nest egg.

LOL. Haha, nice herenorthere.

Wow, really? Over 700 dollars? Ridiculous. That's over three times as much.

I used to be a power seller on ebay in the past, I don't view this auction as a stunt.

There were 3 separate people fighting for the plant above the $300 dollar mark, with the last one dropping out at 725. All 3+ fighters had well over 100+ feedbacks. Stunts happen when the item gets sold to someone with 0 feedback history or below 10. Unless a friend helped out, but 3 friends fighting for the plant since the 8th doesn't make sense. It's a legit auction in my book. With the winner willing to pay 735+, 2nd up willing to pay 725, and a 3rd willing to pay 355.

-Nate

Wow Nate, you should be on SportsCenter. I never got to see the plant, was it nicer than elgecko's magic hamata?

Why would you spend $700 for a plant on e-bay that you could get from a reputable grower for a lot less?

Because the plant you get on ebay is grown with care, for a few years in a personal collection. While the reputable growers online import all the plants from the same source and you get one the size of a dime which has flown around the globe for the past 2 - 3 weeks, and will take a year to recover.

Because the plant you get on ebay is grown with care, for a few years in a personal collection. While the reputable growers online import all the plants from the same source and you get one the size of a dime which has flown around the globe for the past 2 - 3 weeks, and will take a year to recover.

That sounds more like a description of retailer than grower. If that was the reputation of Nepenthes growers in the US then I can see why people would be hesitant to buy from them.

wow! it almost seems as if a person can make a living off growing multiple plants to medium size such as this and then selling them off on ebay. Surely some ppl truly need to realize how much things are actually worth. I agree that its a beautiful specimen, but no way is it worth that much.

Back