Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Exotic pet ban - HR 669 Fish, Reptiles, Birds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the bill, people.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    But read the bill; it's more about invasives than non-natives.

Yes, read the bill... And realize that the goal of it is to get a huge number of non-native species added to the Lacy Act list as invasive species whether or not they actually have been proven to be invasive. So it is indeed about invasive species... Adding the tag "invasive" to a whole lot of the animals in the pet industry.

If you want to have the freedom to keep any type of "exotic" pet, be it fish or frog or parrot or python then you should care and you should oppose this bill. If you do not and it passes then even if it gets winnowed own to a list of species that actually have been proven to be invasive then it is a foot in the door of radical activists like HSUS to just keep pushing. This bill has nothing to do with science and everything to do with ideology (read the "Broken Screens" report, a non-peer reviewed document that is being touted as fact by HSUS (who are the authors) to push this bill through.) Make your stand here and now because if you do not then the first domino will have been pushed and the line will just keep falling.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My question...Exactly how is this a bad thing for the animals? Maybe it is for some humans, but does this not benefit the animals in the end?
    Anyway, wouldnt there be a grandfather clause?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billylh View Post
    My question...Exactly how is this a bad thing for the animals? Maybe it is for some humans, but does this not benefit the animals in the end?
    Anyway, wouldnt there be a grandfather clause?
    It depends on which animals you are talking about. If they are animals that are being heavily harvested in the wild then it is good for them sure. Converse if they are animals that are and have been CBB from founder stock then it does nothing really.

There is no discussion of a grandfather clause. But the fact that it talks about the importing, keeping, breeding, sale and trade... Using the word keeping to me is indicative that a grandfather clause is not part of the plan... Just my take though
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many people are irresponsible and, if something would be a serious problem if it escapes or is released, maybe no one should be allowed to have it. I think most (not all) people could agree with that in theory, but the devil is in the details. That's why people should read it and give it some thought. Understand the process and how things can go right or go wrong. Sausage-making pales in comparison.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    Too many people are irresponsible and, if something would be a serious problem if it escapes or is released, maybe no one should be allowed to have it.
    By that logic then pigs and horses and rats ought to be banned... And yet they are not. Heck, you can not even kill a feral horse or pig in many states despite the HUGE amounts of damage they cause.

So yes, the devil is in the details. And details are getting swept under the rug to support the agenda of people who think keeping certain pets if wrong. HSUS is a group of animal rights activists. They are not as radical as PETA and ALF but they are radicals. They do not care about facts and the like. They care about ideology, their ideology.

And if you want to talk about irresponsible pet owners then there are untold numbers of stray dogs and cats... Where is the legislation for those? Why are pitbulls not banned when everyday some child or neighbor gets mauled by them There are plenty of irresponsible keepers of normal pets and no one is pushing to cut them down. But the knee-jerk fear that is exploited by the media and the special interest groups is being exploited here to take away our pets.

You might not like snakes. Fine. I am not asking you to like them, I am not asking you to keep them. But do not tell me I can not keep mine. Do I have the right to keep you from having a dog just because I hate dogs?

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that there are some very good compromises that can allow people to still trade in these species. I think that a problem, more than people being irresponsible, is being ignorant. They release animals because they don't know better, or because they are doing the animal "a favor" by setting it free. I think that mandatory information sheets to be given with certain animals are a very good idea, and perhaps a microchip/permit program in place for species of special concern, such as what Florida has recently implemented for Burmese Pythons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see any inherent right to keep any kind of pet, whether its one of my dogs or one your, well, whatever you have. I think we should all be held to a higher standard. One other thing; when you find yourself calling the HSUS radicals or extremists, you're doing them and the word a disservice.

Personally, I think exotic pets are a negligible threat compared to the exotics that travel around as passengers in wood products, trapped water, etc. The current effort ought to be directed towards those things, but that's a battle against business interests ranging from the local to the international. That kind of opposition is well funded and connected.

Focusing on just one problem, we don't have our growing problem with emerald ash borers because people kept them as pets and let some go. We have them because we're a materialistic culture that's addicted to imports from China and some EABs probably rode over in wood pallets or something. Then the firewood industry helped transport EABs further, until states were forced to ban the interstate transport of firewood. But plenty of people ignore the ban and help spread EABs. In addition to wanting more stuff as cheap as possible, we aren't good at listening when told something we don't to hear. EABs are just one problem and are probably more of a threat than all potentially invasive pets combined.
    Bruce in CT

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast