Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Exotic pet ban - HR 669 Fish, Reptiles, Birds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dravenxavier View Post
    It is important that anyone who has any interest write and call their representatives to voice their opposition of this bill.
    I periodically receive emails from organizations that provide a link to a website which makes it very easy for me to email my opinion to my elected officials. While I know that I can contact them individually (phone, email or snail mail) with my opinion (& have) - it would benefit the 'cause' if a link to such a website were posted here....

I suspect that HSUS (or sister org) have something similar for their supporters to share their opinions ...
    --------------------
    Edit: my apologies for not watching the video 1st (duh) (not an excuse but my flashblock makes it easy to ignore that stuff). The link to send emails (& get phone numbers) is:

http://www.nohr669.com/
    --------------------
    2nd edit:
    emailed & called 04.16.08
    Comment: while I've made calls before, they normally just ask for your name & your suggestion - however, this time they had my address (probably from phone ID) and confirmed it.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, rattler. You're right, I was aiming for a recent thing, but that is even greater.

http://www.nohr669.com/

While you're at it, visit http://www.nonais.org too. It's a wretched proposed intrusive program that started out with a more simple law too. It will show you haw far the government takes things when they are allowed to take hold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Gardener View Post
    Which is it? LOL

Again, by outlawing all individuals of one species it punishes those who did not allow their property to cross their property line. That is the problem I have with this.
    None of the current laws punish you greatly for having an invasive plant in your yard, is what I mean. Do you have any invasive plants on your property? Would you know if you did? It means no plant police will show up at your door and scream that you must control this plant OR ELSE. Perhaps if you own rangeland with leafy spurge. But unlikely in almost any other case. What punishment will come upon you if it does not? Chances are, none.

Right! It does go too far. That's my point. And if it goes through, it will only go further.
    But my point is that the slippery slope is a logical fallacy. Just because exists is not guarantee that it will go further. You can't seriously believe that they want to get rid of dogs and cats, or your property.

Well after slavery was rightfully stopped after the 1780's. One instance was the "Patriot Act" of the last administration.
    I... actually agree with that comment on the patriot act. But I say that the state of rights sucked before the revolutionary war also. It has never been perfect, its always been something that has been wrong with rights in this country. The good ol republic never existed.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't seriously believe that they want to get rid of dogs and cats, or your property.
    They may not directly take such common and well established animals, but they can add to the law later to make them much more difficult to legally keep.

I've seen too much with Premisses ID and how it led to NAIS. I see nothing different here. How would you like having to report to a government database within 24 hrs each time you take your dog for a walk off of your property down the sidewalk or to the park? Think they wouldn't pass such a thing? That's just part of what NAIS is for livestock. If farmer Smith's piglet squeezes through the hog panel and steps onto the neighbor's field, that's crossing the property for which farmer Smith's premisses ID is registered and that movement, accidental or purposeful, must be reported within 24 hrs or fines will be issued.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can... that they have absolutely no reason or motivation to suggests very strongly that they will not. Most people don't care about exotic pets. Most people do care about "fluffy". Why the hell would they want to make it hard to legally own a cat or dog? Some breed, perhaps, if they have a reputation. Otherwise, "because they are the government, and because owning a cat/dog is a right" is not a logical reason to fear for your right to own everything.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can already take your home for merely nothing to its worth if they need the land. That has been in affect forever. Now they want our animals, everything but dogs and cats... so far. Why would I think any differently? I'm going to cling to what little is left.

If not our property, then where do you propose we draw the line? Or let them completely walk all over us? They are our elected representatives, who we pay to represent us! When they stop representing us and start representing special interest groups and huge corporations, it's time for them to go! Coincidentally, NAIS is also funded in a large part by special interest groups. What really needs to be passed, is a law for our government to be forced to stop accepting money from said groups and start representing the public without coercions and bribes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I missed this yesterday so I will address it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    This bill goes too far. Pyro's snakes have never harmed anybody (I assume) and have no potential to harm the environment.
    You are correct on both counts.

But the topic title and first post is misleading, the bill will not take all of his snakes.
    And technically you are correct. This bill will take 9 of the 10 snakes I own. So, no, it will not take them all. I will still have one. If they can pry the others form my cold dead fingers... LOL

I think this bill does infringe on rights, but if a species is demonstrated to cause real harm to the land or people, then it is well within the government's power to step in and stop the trade of said species.
    And that is the problem myself and others have. If they demonstrated through valid scientific means that a given species is an issue I would happily comply. And I do not contend that there are not invasive species that need to be dealt with. But that is not what this bill does. It takes a guilty until proven innocent approach an labels all non-native animals as invasive. The USFWS will take roughly 4 years of valid scientific inquiry to determine if any one given species is to be added to the Lacy Act of invasive species. This bill, if passed calls to have a list of all species to be added in 36 hours. That is oversteping
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clarify something. The Davidson College Herp. Dept. has been working with the National Park Service and studying the "python problem" in the Everglades for awhile. They have concluded that the original pythons came from released animals, and have since divided into several distinct breeding colonies. Nothing in their report mentioned anything about escapees during hurricanes. Please note I am not saying this could not have occured, I am only mentioning the published study I read. Also living in central Florida I know there is a growing problem around this area with monitor lizards. Again these are captive animals that are being released by apparently ignorant owners. On the gulf coast they are decimating the burrowing owl population by consuming eggs from the nests.
    On a side note...what exactly is the criteria for being an invasive species?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast