Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Exotic pet ban - HR 669 Fish, Reptiles, Birds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exotic pet ban - HR 669 Fish, Reptiles, Birds

For anyone who's not aware of what's going on, there is a bill trying to be passed right now which threatens to shut down the pet trade virtually overnight. This bill will ban all non-native wildlife from being imported, bought, sold, traded, or bred, unless that species is specifically selected to be allowed for trade. Anything that will be allowed, from what I understand, will also be considered "nonmailable matter" and will no longer be able to be mailed. So, stores will only be able to receive whatever approved animals are available locally from an importer or local breeder within driving distance. With these regulations, I see it as being very unlikely that the trade will be able to support itself.

It is important that anyone who has any interest write and call their representatives to voice their opposition of this bill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always good to pay attention and voice your opinion to your legislators, but don't panic. Lots of bills are introduced, maybe get a hearing and disappear from sight. That's what happens to just about every terrific or awful bill. Only the mediocre middle tends to pass. But read the bill; it's more about invasives than non-natives. That might seem like hair-splitting, but there are good reasons to limit invasive species. Of course they tend to arrive in the ballast water of ships, as passengers in other products or other accidental ways. That's where attention is needed.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although it sounds quite alarming, I'm sure our congressmen realize the kind of money this industry processes each year. Although I didn't read the actual bill, it seems so incredibly stupid that I don't think it would ever actually make it anywhere. Dennis Kucinich is my congressman, you know, that nut-job from Cleveland that has ran from president for the past 2 elections, the one who wants to create a "department of peace," and also read the impeachment documents against Bush to the House, TWO TIMES. Needless to say, he was laughed off the floor, twice. Point being, there are crazies in congress, and they put stupid stuff like this up for vote, only to realize that their colleagues all regard them as crazies when it gets shot down.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is insane! These idiots who came up with this proposal should be removed from office! Think of the jobs it would terminate and lives it would rip apart if people's pets are taken from them for being in "violation" of this.

This bill will ban all non-native wildlife from being imported, bought, sold, traded, or bred, unless that species is specifically selected to be allowed for trade.
    What the heck will it leave for pets!? You already have to obtain a permit to keep most native species. Wouldn't surprise me if PETA is pushing this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HSUS (like PETA, but less extreme, and better funded) is pushing this one. Or at the very least has strong ties to it. There are also some celebrities tied to this, from what I've heard, like Jeff Corwin. As for who came up with it, this bill was actually proposed by Guam! This bill has come and gone before, but this time it's showing quite a bit of strength behind it. As for what will be allowed for pets, that's one of the problems I have with this, is that they haven't released a list of what will be allowed as pets. If the bill passes, then they will release a list of species approved for trade within 36 months. Even then, what they do allow, you cannot get mailed to you. It's like being into carnivorous plants, and having to settle for what you can pick up at the local nursery: if you want a VFT or N. ventrata, awesome...but if you want something rare and exotic, you're out of luck. In any case, it'd be unlikely that the fish and reptile trade would survive it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theres another to put hormones into the meats that we eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bird trade would not survive it either.

Take something as common as a barnyard chicken, they aren't native. Even if they were approved under this, there's the anti-shipping bit on lives. Even hatching eggs are live embryos in a suspended state of growth, dormant as it were. They would just take that and run with it. It would be never ending until you couldn't ship a single thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    draven: shhhhh!!! don`t give em any ideas who knows what they are liable to try. capensis is a weed, making it ?invasive?

Hmmm. Let`s not worry about the economy, let`s worry about what pets people have at home, and how gerbils and chinchillas are a threat to the public well being. Maybe we should go to australia and help them get rid of the frogs that were introduced, or the brown rat, it`s making 'progress' everywhere it gets!

let`s just hope the FDA doesn`t get any bright ideas like this... i don`t want to be stuck with simple typical vft`s... i`d die.
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast