Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have a look at this: Pseudolithos cubiformis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's very cool. I could easily mistake that as a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by petmantis View Post
    Ooh, lithops!...
    Not lithops, those are a different genus, but neat plant nonetheless.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EW, but also COOL! Reminds me of those zombies from Halo.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes our cps look kinda... normal.

Nice find. If you ever get more than one, I'd like to trade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A plant that doesn't look much like a plant. That makes it awesome, but could you give more background info on it and why you have been seeking it so?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's not a "beauty" in your traditional sense. But being so weird and non-plant like made me need to have it! Plus the fact it's from Somalia makes it somewhat more exotic than anything else I've had before.

Supposedly it can double itself in a growing season, which for most is what it can do outside, mine will be under lights so maybe I can push it by never having a poor weather day. I'm still working on getting the other solitary head species P. mitiurginus which grows as a reptilian sphere. I actually need two of each if I want to make seed as they are not self fertile. But apparently will make intragenetic hybrids with other asclepiads like Stapelia, Orbea, Caralluma, Whitesloanea, etc.

A Pseudolithos is different than a Lithops. As Pseudolithos grow they just get bigger and weirder "more blob-ish"! Lithops divide and pop up a new body generally the same size and color pattern as the old one.

Lithops leslei var venteri (you can see into it through the translucent grey "window")

Lithops dorotheae developing a new body. I haven't watered this in two months. If you water it the old body won't abosrb into the new one.

I'm working on getting the weirdest collection together I can. Pseudolithos is one of the crowns hopefully I won't kill it!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Plus the fact it's from Somalia makes it somewhat more exotic than anything else I've had before.
    It must be a pirate plant! Yar-har! Shiver me timbers!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL!

People make such a big deal over there being pirates in this day and age (daily show/comedy shows) but if you read Motoring with Mohammed by the guy who wrote the Orchid Fever book (Eric Hansen?) you'll find it's nothing new for that area at all. He was taken hostage when he ship wrecked in Qatar in the late 60s or early 70s as he was evading Nam draft. The book describes some of the trials and tribulations and comedy of being held hostage for ransom a tradition which seems to go back centuries. Oddly, it is a rather funny book as well as interesting.

My dad lives in the heart of the largest Somali population in the US - something like 70,000 immigrants in Minnesota mostly concentrated in my dads neighborhood & county. His apartment is near the main (only?) mosque for Minneapolis. The FBI just raided all the Somali money changers/wire transfer shops again last week turning up once again, nothing except people being bothered as they went about their daily business. Since some kids from the neighborhood moved back to Somalia the FBI has been trying to say they must have went back for terror training. They are so positive there's something brewing other than goat dishes (which are surprisingly good)...

Some Asclepiads are sacred to some traditional non-muslim Somali tribes and old "great white explorers" are said to have been killed in quest of the one called Whitesloanea crassa. Which looks like a white sculptured reptilian pyramid and then an obelisk. Thus, another must have!

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    swords, i absolutely love your sense of plant-liness! its EXACTLY like mine! That plant is the coolest thing ever! and you say there are spherical and pyrimidal ones?! DUDE!!! Hook me up! Or just post pictures, thats cool too. ))
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast