Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: North Central CP Meeting! Spring 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anybody heard of plans for a fall meeting?
    We would sure like to see everybody again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone heard from Nathan in a while?

Not sure if the fall meeting went through (I'm assuming it didn't) but there is a 2 week gap this May (from the 10th to the 22nd) in which I will be able to attend another cp gathering. Otherwise, i could go anytime after July 10th (whatever would allow for the largest turnout). But if this time frame doesn't work for everyone else, then by all means schedule it whenever works best!

Also, I'm not sure if we'll be able to go to Nathan's again (unless he comes back to the forums soon). In case we don't hear from him, we'll likely have to find a new location...

Just trying to get the ball rolling so that hopefully more people will be able to attend this year.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the ok from the boss last night to host the gathering at our house this year if anyone is interested. We are just outside Kankakee, Ill. (10 minutes east of I-57 and 30 minutes south of I-80)
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still alive! (Just been super busy 8( ) I'd be up for hosting a spring meeting, if people would like to hash out dates that are good for them I can make another post and setup a time if people would still be interested in coming out to my location.

Take care,
    Nathan
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm up for whatever is most popular with those that want to attend. My thought was that maybe some folks would come up from down south or east if we had it at my place. I can start a new thread and we can solicit for preferences. By no means am I trying to bogart the event ! As far as the dates go we should give a couple choices to get the best date for the majority. Lot's of people have summer school, vacations and just need time off to make the daytrip. Parents might need a bit of convincing too. What do you guys think ??
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, depending on Nathan's thoughts about this, it couldn't hurt to offer both locations and see people's preferences.
    Either way, the dates might even be the first thing to consider. We could just say right now that it would be near the Chicago area, take a poll for dates, and then decide the location based on what is place would be closest for everyone who expressed interest. (for the most part, either location has the potential to add a half hour to an hour and a half from what I've seen)

Maybe we can start a new thread for the "poll" and then make a final thread once the date and location is picked.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Chris and All,
    Another gathering this spring sounds nice. As far as date to do it, most of my schedule is always last minute anyway, so I wouldn't have much preference. If a date is set, my wife and I will try to make it no matter when it is. (Sometimes last minute work or something gets in the way, but otherwise, we will be there!)
    Which brings us to the next issue of where.

Again, this doesn't matter to us too much. While Nate is closer to us, running out by Chris isn't a problem at all. There's also the pleasure of seeing someone else's setup. (As my place is a real mess and my plants doing poorly, seeing my "setup" would be a disappointment for one and all...including me!)

It might be nice to see some plants growing el'natural! However I know of only one place in the area (Volo Bog) where we could see pitcher plants and sphagnum moss (and possibly a tiny orchid if the timing is perfect). Other areas I used to go to in the area, to see sundew and such, are either no longer viable as a choice, or illegal to get into (If I could even find them again!).

It would also be nice to see some in "artificial surroundings", but here again, locally, the Chicago Botanic Garden [www.chicago-botanic.org, E Lake Cook Rd, Glencoe, Illinois 60022 (847) 835-5440]
    is the only place I have seen any lately. (We don't even have a "retailer" who consistently sells them locally!)
    Neither of these are "close" to anyone or each other, but perhaps if anyone has ideas about things like this, they can make some further suggestions.

So as for me (and Kathy), anytime, anywhere works. (I would suggest May-June, but that is only because it is warm out by then, without being too wet, or too hot.) But here again, I too would say that if someone has a preference, or a time they "can't" make it, to speak up.

Nate has done a fantastic job in the past, and his set-up is certainly worth seeing again and again. Yet I also think letting others host it if they want to may be a good thing. As I said, seeing how others are doing things and have things set-up is always interesting, and often triggers new ideas for myself and others.

Actually, I think if someone with lots of extra money and plants, along with an overly enlarged spirit of generosity, were to host a gathering and hand out lots of rare plants to us all, that would be ideal!

But short of that, (and joking aside), I think it is wonderful when we can get together and appreciate anyone who is willing to host it! It has been a good time for us in the past, and I certainly think doing one this spring is a good idea.
    Chris, you have my vote! "Make it so!"

Paul
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deb and I would come again if we can get time off work.
    Location doesn't matter a whole lot to us, after the first 300 miles it's all the same.
    Les

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast