Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washington State, waking up...Nature photos~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Washington State, waking up...Nature photos~

So, with the warmer weather, and a rather strange day...Rain, sun, rain, sun.....
    things are beginning to liven up around here...
    As some of you know, Western Washington is known for its temperate rainforests...
    we have a small chunk out back, so my gf and i went on a walk through some trails and took some photos. Not the most amazing stuff, but i loved it...lol
    So here we start with some photos of some flowers just outside the house before we took out to the trails, which start pretty much immediately behind my house
    Camellia bush starting to wake up and bloom like mad.

Daffodils(common, but pretty none the less), Pierce County is known for its famous Daffodil festival which began back in 1933...since then, has become a tradition here to choose a daffodil princess from one of the schools, a girl from our school won this year

Hyacinth sp.
    various color forms are found all around here, as well as varieties....i love this white flowered one out in the front flower bed

ok ok now to the actual nature photos...we go through my back fence, and up a small trail...which lead to a clearing, then to more trail paths...we took the one in the photo, went and took a left.

Some of the trees, not near as dense as it will be in the coming months, this is one of the more empty areas, mostly trees and some ferns/bushes

A little further up and we find ourselves in the more dense parts of the forest, this place is very lively during spring, and is only just beginning to wake up...Huckleberry, Oregon Grape, Salal, Raspberries, Blackberries, Easter Lillies, Nettle(eek), ferns, twin leaf, fox glove, etc are very abundant in this area

And again a little deeper we go, and the landscape changes a little more...

Stumbled upon this little guy....Nasty, but interesting...Banana slugs are still a rather mysterious invertebrate....i say he looks like....err.. waste?

Autoflash kinda ruined this one

Stumbled upon a very strange fungus on a log...almost solid, yet....i cant explain it, i didnt want to touch it Hahaha
    No idea what species of flowering tree this is...more of a large, scambly shrub...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A species of Artist Fungus

Headed down the trail, going back a bit, we come across a clearing....i use this hill to sled on during winter LOL....there are a pair of nesting bald eagles up there, i havent gone looking for the nest yet...

Probably my favorite photo of the evening.....this one was headed back, along an opened trail

Just across the path of the last photo (opposite side) this leads off to some more open areas, this path we are on is often used as deer beds...ive ran across a couple bear here, thankfully far enough away to avoid anything dangerous

Another one of the unknown flower bushes from above

and last, my gf found a 4 leaf clover X)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your flowering shrub looks like a salmonberry to me. You should check back and see if it fruits. They're very tasty!

http://wnps.org/landscaping/herbariu...ectabilis.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhhhh that makes sense *facepalm* should have known that one after having walked these trails many times over the last few years....They do fruit hahaha, completely forgot!
    Thanks blade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your lucky to have that in your back yard, I have a 10 minute rid just to find a patch of woods larger then a mile. Any way my suburbs are waking up too. Very exciting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice pictures! It reminds me of the little mini forest in our old neighborhood. There were always black berries, salmon berries, flowers, BEES, and other interesting stuff. I actually found a cool little swampy stream in the forest right around my house here. I wish I brought my camera.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very beautiful SK!
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet! Nice to see that spring is coming
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast