Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about CPs, Toxicity and Box Turtles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard about some CPs being poisonous to animals. But I haven't heard about pinguicula being poisonous. Pings are little sticky leaved CPs that catch little gnats and flies. They don't usually get very big, and tend to be easy to grow. You should check out some of the smaller pings. You'll have to have some kind of light for the plant though.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, if you can post a pic of Sheldon in the tank perhaps it will help to spark design/species ideas. You know you want to show him off...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like a good idea however, CP's will not eradicate the problem. If they have colonized the substrate they are there to stay. On the other hand, they would be an interesting addition to your enclosure and would definitely do what what they could, to the best of their ability. If you are hanging pots or baskets around the perimeter, you should have no concerns about toxicity because they will be out of sight and reach (?). Drosera come in many forms, many flush to the ground. Another CP is Pinguicula (butterwort) which is flush to the ground, and they love to feast on gnats and reward you with beautiful flowers. Venus flytraps in general are not gnat eaters (gnats are too small).

You can also grow different plants alongside each other, pings, drosera and utrics and assault them from all angles, above and below soil.

If you decide to incorporate CP's, just do you homework on the plants you decide, make sure they meet your growing conditions. These are considered hot house conditions, and while you have a lot of options, not all plants will thrive. Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Oh you KNOW I love to show off my Sheldon! He's almost 30 years old, and handsome enough for GQ

Here's some links:

The whole setup: http://www.flickr.com/photos/melenko...7615685005712/

Hot half (Things have changed a bit - the violet has been sat on too much and I had to relocate the hide because he liked to climb on top of it): http://www.flickr.com/photos/melenko...7615685005712/

Cold half (that's a fogger in the bowl in the corner, and the light is a 5.0 UVB: http://www.flickr.com/photos/melenko...7615685005712/

The "man": http://www.flickr.com/photos/melenko...7615685005712/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/melenko...7615685005712/

I want to be extra careful on the toxicity issue, because even though he technically won't be able to reach them, they do climb and will surprise you. Also, if any errant leaves were to drop into the tank I wouldn't want to take any unnecessary risk. I'm looking at having them about halfway between the rim and the top of the substrate on the front of the tank.

I realize they won't control a serious problem, but it sure can't hurt. Good housekeeping keeps them relatively under control, but I just thought a hungry cp or two might help out

Thank you!
    ~Jen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha... he is a fine looking fella. The tank is very cool - complete with oak leaves and a pond fogger! I've never seen a box turtle set up before. It looks comfortable.

I used to see a lot of eastern box turtles growing up. Now, not so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheldon is a three-toed box turtle, which is a close relative of the eastern. unfortunately due to people taking them out of the wild to keep as pets and development of their habitat, they aren't as common as they used to be. Sheldon is a captive bred from IL (where I used to live).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool setup. I love turtles, but I already have a snake.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the compliments! It's actually the minimum recommended size for a box turtle, but considerably better than the 10 gallon desert my ignorant self kept him in for the past 14 years until I learned better, and the biggest my current home will allow. The summer's "major" project is to build an outdoor run for him so he has more room to explore, at least as weather permits. Yes, after years of suffering, I'm bent on building Sheldon his own version of 3-toed heaven

Anyway, I'm starting to think a pinguicula pimuliflora is the best place to start - from what I'm reading they're hardy (good, because I'm a novice), small and low growing, and even though I'm not certain on toxicity, a big enough, properly constructed container should keep the leaves within the potting area with no danger of falling into the tank. I'm still hesitant to plant anything directly in his substrate but will continue to research this option as well. To be specific, the "gnats" I refer to are generally fruit flies attracted by food and turtle poo left undetected in his substrate. I try to keep it as clear as possible, but I'm never going to get it all. Springtails are pointless to fight and harmless though annoying, and the occasional fungus gnats are to be handled by "Knock out Gnats" which is safe for all plants and animals, to my understanding and will likely be restricted to his substrate and not applied too any CPs.

Any advice on potting medium and general care? Is there anyone who doesn't think this is a good choice or has a better option? Good sources to purchase from? I'm really excited to try this, but want to make sure I'm headed down the best path

Still brainstorming, but I feel like I'm narrowing things down!

~Jen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12