What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Do I Never Find CP Seedlings....

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
...in the bagged LFS? Shouldn't there be some D. rotundifolia or D. intermedia?

not for me, just random bog weeds :)

~billy

Same here. Sedges and other weedy stuff... even mushrooms, but never any CPs.

Jim, I think you are referring to the bonus bag! I've gotten one... except it wasn't a rotundifolia... it was some weird form of beetle.

I've had "recycled" moss used by another grow. He tried to sow Dionaea seeds on them. When I planted a Sarracenia, I thought that the moss didn't have anything in it. To my surprise, three months later came twenty three little seedling Dionaea! :D

I think it was Barry Rice that said he found a dessicated Sarracenia purpurea once in a bag of long fiber sphagnum moss.

I found these in mine today, lots of them.
gregsmoss.jpg

I think it was Barry Rice that said he found a dessicated Sarracenia purpurea once in a bag of long fiber sphagnum moss.

Barry always has some kind of strange occurrence to tell about. lol

I haven't got anything except little green stringy weed things. I found some earwigs in an old bag of sphagnum though. I'd like to see a mushroom sprout in my sphagnum. Never grown a mushroom before, lol.

Moo if you hook up an air intake that pulls air from outside and blows it into your highland Nep terrarium you'll get all sorts of stuff popping up. Ferns, mushrooms, liverworts, all sorts of moss, etc. I live by a forest though so this may have affected the sorts of spores my intake fan pulled in.

Mushrooms actually kinda suck when they pop up in a pot cos it takes forever to get rid of them. I don't know if I ever got rid of them from my N. hamata pot which also got infested by Drosera adelae - which I didn't own! So it must've come in on some live moss from another plant and when I inoculated the hamata pot with diced up live moss the D. adelae seed or something must've been on there ready to pop up. The mushrooms I got in my highland chamber weren't interesting ones, just very tall thin stems and a tiny cap about 1/8". I've had some rather neat mushrooms pop up in the orchid bark substrate of my Anole terrarium. Large dayglo orange colored ones that have like "shingles" on the cap and some short grayish white ones. They only last a day or so then they dry up.

I remember the first time I ever encountered Utricularia gibba. I was into Amano style aquatic plant aquariums and there was this dastardly filamentous algae tormenting me that was just awful. It grew interminably long and very fast. It had all these tiny "balls" along it's length. Nobody on the aquatic plant forums had any idea what it was. I tore the infested tank down and re-setup several times, there it was after a month or two popping up again and again! Finally I tore down the tank and threw out every plant and piece of wood and setup from absolute scratch again. It was finally gone. Then I got the Savage Garden book in 1999 or 2000 and found out, it wasn't algae! It was likely growing so good cos I only fed my killifish live foods and the killie fry baby brine shrimps, the "algae" was likely eating a lot of the fry food! :D

All I ever see is sedge. Maybe a switch in brands will have something neat in it.

Let's see what i have found in long fibered sphagnum moss.Mosser lee brand. i have found purps that I have tried to revive with no success, some kind of low growing bushy thing hasbn't flowered yet may be a blue berry
New Zealand: some kind of plant that starts out looking like a succulent but when it gets about 6 inches tall becoms all pricky (gorsk? sp)some sort of grass gets at least 18 inches tall.
somethin more recentis a grassy plants that roots whereever it puts the tip of the grass on the media kinda like a walking iris but a grass. Several types of carex.

Once received some rotundifolia from some lady in Maine who rescues plants before they are bulldozed under for new roadways . she used LiveSM to pack the plants, the rotundifolia were incidental

I like to use slightly moist LFS for packing plants as well, let alone as plant medium. There's just never any CP's in the stuff I've bought.

i have gotten D. Cape from SC, an some unknown Drosera's from CA, and a mystery Nep in some Live SM from Hawaii
that i just found 2 days ago
Daren

i found this Nep seedling buried in the live sphagnum moss i got from Sam (Leilani) a few months ago
i replanted it to give it some more light
;D
Picture094.jpg

Picture095.jpg

Picture096.jpg

Picture097.jpg

Barry always has some kind of strange occurrence to tell about. lol

Yeah, I think he was the same clown who supposedly fed some of his dead skin flakes to a Dionaea. His future in politics may be in doubt . . .

Carnivorous plant seeds have limited viability. Chances are that bag of Moss-Lee has been sitting around past the seeds "shelf-life". Not to mention who-knows-what sort of temperature extremes.

Wow Sheila...you got that in a bag of moss from a store??

I just get sedges. But I have gotten some "gift with purchase"s in potted plants. Usually a sundew.

Back