What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What I found in my terrarium today

P1030017.jpg

This is a moss terrarium, not a CP terrarium, which is how he came in, it's all locally gathered moss, so I assume the little guy must have hitchhiked in on a clump. (I drowned them before putting them in, to cut down on the wildlife transported, but obviously that doesn't always flush out everything, as demonstrated here!) I went ahead and put him back in after taking the photo, because dang if he's not completely adorable! He can eat all the moss and fern leaves he likes, at least until he starts getting too big to be cute anymore. :D

If you decide you don't want him (or his cousins) you can set a jar lid with beer in it in the terrarium and they'll all run to it at night and drink themselves to death. Do this a couple times to make sure they're gone. then a couple more times a few months later incase some eggs hatch.

What does your moss terrarium look like? It sounds interesting!

It looks like this:

normal_P1020995.jpg

It's meant to eventually be the home of a small snake, exactly what snake depends on my financial situation in the coming months. Which is why the water dishes and the fake rock "hide."

It now has a small fern, in addition to all the moss you can see here. I was originally going to put my little s. purpurea in there too, but I ended up deciding to put it outside instead, as the start of a little bog garden.

I'd get rid of that finger, right quick!That looks like my setup:

Picture015-3.jpg

may i ask, why you are heating a jar of water?

To up humidity, I'd assume...

Thats a good way to make use of an old aquarium setup. I was contemplating using the tank heater from when I kept fish, but didn't want to fill the tank with enough water to immerse the heater. My question is how well does the jar of water transmit heat into the enclosure?

Back