Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NASC AUCTION...ends tonite at 10 p.m. Edst

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that is something I never thought about.... lol Hmmmmmmmmm...sneaky!!

Aha, we the crash has an official name? Lol. It's amazing how we might break the record even with there wasn't as many auctionings this time.
    Yes, it is now The Big Crash of 2008. lol

You know, I wondered the same thing. Last year I think we had 200 listings. So we are a little short this year. HOWEVERRRRR....there is STILL TIME TO LIST ITEMS!!!! hehe
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is now The Big Crash of 2008. lol
    Uuug. Can we please call it The Big Crash and drop the "2008"? The presence of a date makes it sound like it needs to be differentiated from another instance. And I hope there will never be any other such instance. PLEASE no TBCo'09. lol
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welllllll...at this point, all we can do is laugh about it.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For next year:

Would anyone be opposed to setting a limit on how bids you can be bidding on at once such as 5 or 10?
    Say if you currently have the highest bid in 5 or 10 listings then you are not eligible to bid on another item until someone else outbids you. I'm asking this because it would be nice to leave a chance for others to get at least 1 plant. I know the purpose of this is to raise money but seeing how high the bids have been getting I cant see any change donation wise.
    This is the case even when the same plant shows up more then once. The same people will bid on the same item in 2 different listings. Would it be too much to ask to 'spread the love'? As much as this is a fundraiser it's also a chance for everyone to get some nice plants and have fun bidding. Having 'friendly competitions' is what makes this event fun, not 'how large is your bank account' competitions.

Some may try to create 2 or more accounts but maybe the limit could be monitored when the checks are sent to the NASC, that person can only have the 5 or 10 items and if they have more then the next highest bids wins.

I can see how this would become a hassle to keep track of during the bidding period but if each person can bookmark what they are bidding on it'd be easier. It's not a perfect system I know but it can be worked on I'm sure. This way more people get something they'd like rather then 1 person hording 20 items.

Just an idea, I'd like to hear what other have to say. Please dont bash, I can understand if you disagree, just view it from this point of view. Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I've bid on 2 like items, simply because I think I'm going to get snipped at 9:59 tonight on one of them. All the bids placed so far don't mean anything.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the bids placed so far don't mean anything.....
    Well they mean a lot to NASC and what we can accomplish with these funds. Last year we were able to donate $3,000 to the Splinter Hill land acquisition project from this auction. No small feat in my opinion. And that was all due to the many, many, many bids (both large AND small) in the auction. Everyone participating in the NASC auction, whether listing or bidding, becomes a part of a larger idea than just acquiring an awesome plant--you are assisting in conservation of the lands that support Sarracenia and other companion CPs.

That said...I totally understand "the pain". Every year people are disappointed as something they really want moves out of reach. But that is the way auctions are unfortunately. It's happened to me a gazillion times on eBay. I want something really bad (fluorite!) but I get outbid by someone with either more money or a faster hand.

The difference here is...on eBay somebody won an item and that's it. Here, the money we raise will help us hopefully make a change for the good on our ailing planet.

If it makes you feel any better...I'll be in the same boat. So lend me a shoulder and we'll cry together. lol

Frenchy, I understand what you are saying too. However, that would be extremely hard to monitor. We have 184 listings...with umpteen posts within the topics...and a handful of mods to check on everything. And also...we kinda hate to limit someone who is willing to donate money (indirectly) to NASC. While people do get "something" for their bid...the generosity of the bids I believe are based on people's willingness to help with conservation.

**But since we all do understand the pain of "losing," I'd like to make a request that everyone who wins plant material to grow it out and get seed, take a cutting or leaf pull...and share it with someone who bid on the item in the auction. How's that? If everybody does that, then double the amount of people will have what they want. Then those recipients do the same...and so on.

It has been a long time since the special man Tamlin Dawnstar has been here preaching about spreading the love. But that is how it should be. People here are VERY generous and have and will continue to do this. If you share, the plants will spread!

I'm truly blown away by how generous people have been...donating and bidding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Less than two hours left... Good luck to you all.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my fingers crossed very hard. But I'm definitely of the opinion that even if I don't win a single thing, bidding was worth it, since my bid means the end price might be just that much higher, and the more money for this cause, the better!
    I make fuzzy things.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast