Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ethical/legal question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real danger comes when you disclose the location of the plants. A lot of growers know of spots like this, but keep their mouths shut about where they found them because they don't want the location overrun. When it comes down to it, wild collected seed perpetuates our hobby. It might not be entirely legal (neither is jaywalking), but introducing new genetics into our hobby is usually appreciated. I'd say collect some seed, but don't disclose the specific location data to anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would need seed collecting permits, the ICPS website states

Wild Seed Collection Etiquette:

Gather only enough seed to establish the plant in your own and a colleague’s collection. Use the collected seed as parental stock to produce seed for the ICPS seed bank.

Minimize your collection impacts by removing only a small percentage of the total seeds available from a site. A good rule of thumb is to collect seeds from only 1 in 50 fruiting plants; do not collect if less than a total of 50 plants occur in a site. It is particularly important not to over-collect seed from plants that reproduce primarily by seed. Small amounts of seed from several plants is better than a large amount of seed from one plant, since the genetic diversity in the collection will be higher, and is more likely to result in capturing a plant most amenable to cultivation.

When collecting, proceed slowly and cautiously through the site to minimize your trampling and disturbance of plants or their habitat. Take care to correctly label all the seeds you collect, and do not confuse collections of separate species.

Do not collect seeds if you cannot distinguish between mature and immature seed. Maintain collected seed in appropriate containers and environmental conditions.

The ICPS recognizes and appreciates the comments provided by staff of the US Fish & Wildlife Service, The Nature Conservancy, and Natural Heritage Programs in developing these guidelines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, that seems to be a change in "policy" from when people found out about the N. edwardsiana seedlings were being promulgated by that one guy in VA a few years back. I remember statements like "no way should anyone ever collect seed unpermitted under any circumstances" and "what a ****!" Even though someone sent the seed to him to see if he could germinate it, he didn't collect it himself. Maybe the difference is cos they were for sale? But who would want to take care of several hundred baby N. edwardsianas and nothing else for decades? Everyone was so sure it would be the end of the plants in the wild and was the disaster of the century.

Now, just look what having a liberal president has done to the CP community.... lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your input. I feel much better informed to decide what to do now.
    I make fuzzy things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you say at least what genus we're talking about here? Are you even in the US?
    -Joel from Southern California

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as being legal, I would check with your local laws rather than a message board.

Ethics can be a funny thing. It seems these days what is ethical can oftentimes be relative. I agree with Swords... the ethics is up to you. I will say this, however; chances are if you are having to ask about it, then you have some reservations. Don't let other people talk to you into what to do. Make a decision for yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would help if you answer Joel's questions, but no rush.

It's ethical, but not legal... (wait, didn't someone else say that?)...
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12