What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hungry Plants!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
On Thursday I saw 7 cars with snow on their hoods. On Friday the temperature soared to 82 F. That brought out the bugs and when I cam home from work I saw this:

Picture007-6.jpg

Picture008-3.jpg

Picture009-3.jpg

Sure beats sprinkling freezed dried bloodworms and misting!

What kind of ping is that?

P. 'Aphrodite'

Lovely pings. Pings are so underated.

Nice photos Jim. :)

yes, wasn't today crazy? Even my indoor plants caught stuff!

Never saw this before:

Picture035-1.jpg

Fungus gnats are good for something.

Is that what they are?

Yep, and if they're indoors they'll get annoying at night as they are attracted to light sources. You'll see them buzzing around the TV screen or your lights while you are reading.

A little BTi from Mosquito Dunks in the water will eventually control them.

I'd like to know how they got into our second floor apartment. I've read that the larvae can eat at the roots but the adults are not only harmless but obviously a good source of CP food. For the moment, at least, I'll let the plants have at it. They seem to be enjoying themselves.

Fungus gnats are attracted to warm, humid conditions.

That's why you find them flying around so close to your nose and mouth when indoors. I think that they like our "stinky human" breath as well. At least that's my theory........ ;)

you dont have any old food and fruit sitting around your place do you?

leave a banana out on the counter and you'll have a bajillion of em, I used to take a container like a gatorade bottle and put a banana cut in the bottom and put shrink wrap over the top leaving a small hole, it'd get a whole bunch of em and their too stupid to fly out... then all i'd do is place the bottle over some of my dews...

feeding frenzy...

just leave the container outside, you may even get some flies... then put it in the freezer for a moment or two and they'll all immobilize. then you can pick out the big ole flies and feed your vft's by hand :)

the flies will wake up and trigger the rest of the vft's signals...

yum yum.

Lovely pings. Pings are so underated.

I agree. I would grow some if I could just keep the darn things alive. So far I've had three, and all of them have perished within 1 week of me bringing them home.

Even the flowet scape of the P. lusitanica caught a fungus gnat.

you dont have any old food and fruit sitting around your place do you?

leave a banana out on the counter and you'll have a bajillion of em, I used to take a container like a gatorade bottle and put a banana cut in the bottom and put shrink wrap over the top leaving a small hole, it'd get a whole bunch of em and their too stupid to fly out... then all i'd do is place the bottle over some of my dews...

feeding frenzy...

just leave the container outside, you may even get some flies... then put it in the freezer for a moment or two and they'll all immobilize. then you can pick out the big ole flies and feed your vft's by hand :)

the flies will wake up and trigger the rest of the vft's signals...

yum yum.

I think you may be thinking of fruit flies. Different critter than the fungus gnats. Fungus gnats care less about rotting fruits. But both are great for feeding dews and pings. :D

The regia is beginning to uncurl.

Back