What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm moving to Texas!

• Thread starter Jefforever
  • Start date

Jefforever

A yellow M&M
For at least 4 years for college. I really like the programs at Texas A and M.

I got an in-state tuition scholarship, so I'm joining the few out-of-staters there. Anyone on this forum currently in College Station?

Any suggestions what to do around there?

I think it's gonna be a blast! :-D

You could visit my uncles mother-in-law down in Brownsville but I don't think it'll be all that exciting though! :D

What are you going to be majoring in?

I guess it's better than heading to Lubbock. That said, I've never been there and a friend of mine, who's opinions I respect, likes College Station a lot. His daughter went there for her animal science degree. Good luck, even if I can't imagine moving to TX from OR. But it's only four years.

Hey Jeff -

Congrats. My brother was an Aggie, so I used to visit him in college. College Station has pretty much what any other college town would have. That being said, do not expect a booming metropolis. Make no mistake... it IS a college town. The good news is Houston, Austin and San Antonio are just a short drive away (short is relative lol).

What will you be studying?

Phil

Bruce - I know what you mean. The bad thing about this move is that I really like rain... something I won't be seeing too often in Texas! :-(

Phil and Swords - I believe it's about the same size as the town I'm currently in.

I plan to get a degree in plant genetics. The drought resistant / salt tolerant / pest resistant / etc. crops that companies are developing really fascinate me.

There's a seed company here that I drive by when I go to visit my aunt: Beta Seed Company. They have acres of plants and they've always got those "pollination guards" (some sorta cover) over the plants and parts of the fields so you can't see what they're experimenting with.

Sounds cool. I guess I gotta check them out then.

Going to College Station from Corvallis is a smaller step than if you were leaving Portland or Eugene.

I forgot to mention previously that my brother-in-law recently moved to Houston from Seattle and seems happy. I don't know if there's a major American city more different from Seattle, unless it's Dallas. I wish he had stayed where he was because I was hoping to visit Seattle ... ooops ... I meant him again. Maybe we'll drive the extra miles to Houston to see him if we travel south in 2010. I grew up 7 or 8 hours from Houston and never made it there.

As some famous person said, if he owned Texas and H*ll, he'd live in H*ll and rent out Texas. He may or may not have been thinking of the climate.

Back