Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: freakin cat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch. That really sucks. :/ But at least you can replace it, or that she didn't go for more than just the jacq.

Quote Originally Posted by theyellowdart View Post
    Thankfully, my cat chooses to attack my little sisters pumpkin seedlings instead of my plants. lol
    LOL. That made my day.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But dig this, it's the tender new sprouts they (the cats) want and why they seek out other things that are green. If you give them a tray of their own cat grass they will generally leave your stuff alone. My cats like to sit in front of the plants under the lights and soak up heat but they don't mess with the plants at all.

Here's Flash laying in front of my mini-Somalia (the 95-100*F Asclepiad/Moraceae shelf):

Before I discovered the magic of cat grass I had to jump up and yell and act a fool to keep them from messing with my stuff, no more. Cat grass is not the same as catnip (the cat narcotic). Cat grass is just oat grass / wheat grass seed just sprouted. Cats like to start eating it about 4 days after sprouting when it's about 3-4" tall and tender. I plant a 2" deep tray of this every 2 weeks (the grass lives about 3 weeks so as the new one is ready the old one is fading out). Water every few days as it dries out quickly from being chewed on. But the cats will pretty much ignore your exotics once they have a secure knowledge that THIS is their plant they tend to leave other ones alone. Otherwise it's a constant battle, or was for me. They run to their cat grass tub after each meal and whenever they sit on the patio to watch the birds and dog walkers walking the trail they nibble on it.

Here's a pic of catgrass from online somewhere. I don't plant it this thick, it dies off faster by too many roots trying to grow and the cats can't get a good bite on it when it's this thick. I sow it about half or a third that dense.

This is the best deal I've found and bought, shipping made it high but I may never need cat grass seed again unless the seed gets so old it doesn't sprout. You really get shafted on the little cat grass kits sold at the pet shops.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/5lb-OAT-WHEAT-SEED-PET-CAT-DOG-GRASS-SUMMER-SUPPLY_W0QQitemZ330326597975QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce8ffe157&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Seedjar bought wheat berries at the grocery store for this purpose so that may be cheaper yet since no postage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If something chews on the growth tip will the nep still, hopefully recover? o.o

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it wasnt just the growth tip otherwise iwoudlnt have been so pissed
    she got EVERYTHING
    basically a giant pile of spit up plant matter now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... That's why I have dogs, they can't jump high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this wasnt exactly jumping high, this was kinda my own fault, i left the plant on the lower by accident and completely forgot it was there >_< so caught up with stuff lately. Oh well, once again, its a loss but it can be replaced

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I only have plants.
    But, on the other hand, I do have room mates. Sometimes I'm surprised they haven't chewed up and spit out my plants. They always complain that I'm raising the electric bill with my 2 CFL growth lamps.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Swords,

We know that your cat enjoys the cat-grass, but have you ever chewed on the cat-grass after a big meal??
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast