What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

freakin cat

Of all plants to chew on, she somehow chose my N. jacquelineae
SOOOO after it had finally started recovering from shipping shock, somehow got ahold of it and just started chewing away on the growth tip, and then must have unpotted it and chewed on the rest of it. freaking hell man

bummer. My cat has managed to kill a small number of my plants too.

dont understand what incouraged my cat to do this....shes 20 years old ffs >_<
guess im gonna have to get a new one...oh well

Do you have cat-grass for her? Having a pot of it always sitting out for mine has cured my cats messing with my stuff at all. Cats really need the roughage so they go for greens and if there's nothing easy like grass sprouts they go for the other greens (our expensive plants).

this wouldnt have happened if my parents didnt let her in my room -____-
ive always talked about getting catgrass for her but she isnt a big catnip/catgrass cat......

Thankfully, my cat chooses to attack my little sisters pumpkin seedlings instead of my plants. lol

i used to put out sacrificial plants to my neighborhoods alley cats. They'd usually pass up my open GH for different weeds and herd and junk. Of course, eletric wire and a cousin with a BB gun is much more entertaining! :D

my cats is annoying not for him to bite the plants but to tip them even thought he is agressive want a tip ....... cats hate orange peal trust me orange the fruit i mean i use to put it in my black bags to stop the cats ripping them out to eat stuff out of it orange peals are the way forward lol may sound stupid but its true they hate it hope u do this

Richard

Ouch. That really sucks. :/ But at least you can replace it, or that she didn't go for more than just the jacq.

Thankfully, my cat chooses to attack my little sisters pumpkin seedlings instead of my plants. lol

LOL. That made my day.

But dig this, it's the tender new sprouts they (the cats) want and why they seek out other things that are green. If you give them a tray of their own cat grass they will generally leave your stuff alone. My cats like to sit in front of the plants under the lights and soak up heat but they don't mess with the plants at all.

Here's Flash laying in front of my mini-Somalia (the 95-100*F Asclepiad/Moraceae shelf):
flashsomalia.jpg

Before I discovered the magic of cat grass I had to jump up and yell and act a fool to keep them from messing with my stuff, no more. Cat grass is not the same as catnip (the cat narcotic). Cat grass is just oat grass / wheat grass seed just sprouted. Cats like to start eating it about 4 days after sprouting when it's about 3-4" tall and tender. I plant a 2" deep tray of this every 2 weeks (the grass lives about 3 weeks so as the new one is ready the old one is fading out). Water every few days as it dries out quickly from being chewed on. But the cats will pretty much ignore your exotics once they have a secure knowledge that THIS is their plant they tend to leave other ones alone. Otherwise it's a constant battle, or was for me. They run to their cat grass tub after each meal and whenever they sit on the patio to watch the birds and dog walkers walking the trail they nibble on it.

Here's a pic of catgrass from online somewhere. I don't plant it this thick, it dies off faster by too many roots trying to grow and the cats can't get a good bite on it when it's this thick. I sow it about half or a third that dense.
50ef_1.JPG

This is the best deal I've found and bought, shipping made it high but I may never need cat grass seed again unless the seed gets so old it doesn't sprout. You really get shafted on the little cat grass kits sold at the pet shops.
http://cgi.ebay.com/5lb-OAT-WHEAT-SEED-PET-CAT-DOG-GRASS-SUMMER-SUPPLY_W0QQitemZ330326597975QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce8ffe157&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Seedjar bought wheat berries at the grocery store for this purpose so that may be cheaper yet since no postage.

If something chews on the growth tip will the nep still, hopefully recover? o.o

it wasnt just the growth tip otherwise iwoudlnt have been so pissed
she got EVERYTHING
basically a giant pile of spit up plant matter now

... That's why I have dogs, they can't jump high. :D

this wasnt exactly jumping high, this was kinda my own fault, i left the plant on the lower by accident and completely forgot it was there >_< so caught up with stuff lately. Oh well, once again, its a loss but it can be replaced

That's why I only have plants.
But, on the other hand, I do have room mates. Sometimes I'm surprised they haven't chewed up and spit out my plants. They always complain that I'm raising the electric bill with my 2 CFL growth lamps.

Hey Swords,

We know that your cat enjoys the cat-grass, but have you ever chewed on the cat-grass after a big meal?? ;)

I got five pounds of wheat berries for less than $6 from my local bulk grocer. If I'd bought a 25# wholesale bag it would've been cheaper, but I wasn't up to carrying that home on my bike. Mine is even human-safe. Hooray for the food co-op!
Davy - I've got more than a dozen four-foot shoplights running, so I've heard my fair share of roommate complaints. My last roommate liked to leave his window open and the heat on in his room all day and night (apparently to try to even the power bill out.) But it seems that my lights account for less than 1/4 of the bill, because now that he's gone, this month's bill was less than half of last month's ($240 - ack!) even with my new roommate's electrical consumption and increasing the photoperiod on my timers by about 15%.
~Joe

I've never chewed the grass with the cats, I chewed Khat with a couple of the Somalis from work once, it was exactly like chewing and sucking on hedge clippings! :D

Holy Mackerel Joe! My bill was never that much even in my Nep days with the 400W halide, the six twin tube strips, the AC for the highlanders, and all the rest of the household electricity, etc. What do you pay per KWH out there?

Hey Swords,

We know that your cat enjoys the cat-grass, but have you ever chewed on the cat-grass after a big meal?? ;)

Wrong grass. :-))

I kid, I kid!

Hey Finch!

Where ya been??

Back