What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

These times, they are a changing.... good bye Geocities

For us "old timers" we can remember when almost everyone had their own free Geocities webpage.

A couple months ago MSN groups closed their door, now Geocities has announced they will be turning off the lights later this year.

As Bob Zimmerman once said... These times they are a changing,
Av

Omg thats lame i use to love spending time building websites for free on geocities and it was so easy and good to use hehe without any difficult times R.I.P lol :)

Richard

P.S I also Loved The .Midi Loop haha

No way...wow. No joke they are.

But come one, Midi Loop? Who the hell is Midi Loop, its all about Bob Dylan!

Hopefully Midi Loop isnt something completely different but in hindsight i think it might be haha.

LOL, I can remember digging through midi files for hours trying to find one that sounded half way decent. Omg midi loops, sheesh some things need to be forgotten...
at 14.4/28.8k wav files were just not an option...

and then there was that waterfall java script, omg we were rockin in the free world with it

My last surviving geocities webpage...
http://geocities.com/butchtincher/

*Av passes the party jar of geritol around the room... LOL

Av

There goes 3/4 of my website I built years ago:
My woodworking pictures
Tropical fish pics and info
my Bonsai pics
Fossil pics
Photography pics
Cat pics

Better look now if you want. LOL
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/

The ones that are safe is my Carnivorous site and Gecko site. I use my free space with my DSL account.
The only one above that I have to find a home for is my woodworking pages.....Maybe the tropical fish info.

Yeah, AOL dropped personal websites a while ago too. Sign of the times. The free email account I've had for over 10 years went paid only just last month. Not many freebies support POP3. Gmail does though.

:( Even though I don't currently have a web page, I remember using GeoCities back in the day. I learned a lot of the basics (internet, linking, basic graphic editing, etc.) by teaching myself on GeoCities and creating my own web site.

I'm sad to hear it's going.

No big loss..
geocities sucked..

I too had a geocities page..made it around 1997, because I had no other hosting options at the time..
if more than 1 person a week looked at your page, for more than 2 minutes, geocities would lock up your page for "exceeding bandwidth"..(ok, im exaggerating..but not by much! ;)

I will copy over my Bonsai and Aquarium pages that were there and just burn them to a CD..just for posterity..I might re-upload some of the bonsai pages eventually..

if you page is already gone, you should still be able to access and copy much of it thanks to:
http://www.archive.org/index.php

Scot

I think that there is still free webs. Or is that different?

Oh man, talk about memories. When I was in junior high I made an "offical" Dave Matthews Band website on geocities. Sorry to hear about everyone losing content on serious sites. Can you downlaod it and rehost the content easily, or is it just the pain of getting the new URL out there?

xvart.

Luckily I don't have a Geocites, but I do have a freewebs.

guys! I know that google offers a page hosting service as well. I would assume this would be lasting longer:

pages.google.com

Back