Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1000th Geocache!

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the congrats on my 1000th find.

PAK,
    Pack you things and come north this weekend. You'll have no problem getting those last 12 caches to hit your 100th one. I'm going to my first Mega Event in NY. The 2009 Allegany State Park GeoBash. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...6-3c6cd83d7e19

Only did one 5/5 cache with a group. It was a 3 part multi with the final cache inside a cave. Very Cool!!
    Best cache I did to date.
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...f-ec3f074a230e

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmmmm must be alot of ppl up in Scobey doing this(all the 40 some miles north would be Scobey....50 miles is the Canuck border).....but i dont go up there......the wife torqued off the county sheriff and we beat hell out of there before we got arrested the last time

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/neare...13629&dist=100

actually kinda funny.......there are about a dozen i bet i could find from the names they gave them alone....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was into geocaching for a while, it's a lot of fun.
    I have the Garmin Etrex Vista HCx and like it a lot.
    It has a pretty good display and other good features while still affordable.
    I have the Garmin Natrional Parks map product for my area installed, and it's quite good.
    My biggest use for the GPS though is hiking. We have lots of forest trails in Southern Illinois and some pals and I are using our GPS units to map them out. That's a lot of fun!
    Then I have National Geographic Topo maps for my state on my computer so when I get home I can make a nice topo map of the hike. It does a great job and makes very nice maps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketcaver View Post
    Then I have National Geographic Topo maps for my state on my computer so when I get home I can make a nice topo map of the hike. It does a great job and makes very nice maps.
    Topographic maps are the best. I'm finishing up an entire class dedicated to topo map and aerial photo interpretation/usage. If you're in college or even have access to a cheap community college I highly recommended taking a geography course on topo map interpretation. A GIS class can also complement this as you can create your own features, geocode, georeference, and in the end, create some nice map outputs.

I'm going to have to get my own unit sometime down the road...
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, so i think i just found my next hobby! i just joined and there`s a cache .2 miles from my place! i`m anxious to try this out, as i tend to take on hobbies like there`s no tomorrow, this one seems promising
    Thanks for the eye opener elgecko, i`m sure i`ll have a lot of fun with this! of course, my username is blokeman

Talking about gps`, what about tomtom, my dad has one, and i`m not sure i can enter coordinates... probably depends on the model... has anyone used tomtom? Curious, as this will be my only tool to start with.
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay Blokeman! I think you'll like it! The first time I ever heard of geocaching (from Ozzy) I said "I WANNA PLAY!!!!" I've had a blast ever since I got my GPS.

I THINK a Tomtom is strictly for car navigation, but I'm not sure. Some car units are just a little large and bulky to be used for caching. Mine is small enough to use as a handheld but some people don't like the landscape orientation. I do because I get a larger map area.

You can find cheaper used GPSr units at geocaching.com in the Garage Sale forum. Some people do that and get a cheap unit first to see if they like the game/sport/hobby. THEN they purchase a new unit once they have some experience.

I hope you give it a try.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlantAKiss View Post
    I THINK a Tomtom is strictly for car navigation, but I'm not sure. Some car units are just a little large and bulky to be used for caching.
    I have a TomTom (not what I used for geocaching) and I believe that you can enter coordinates into it.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123