Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get outta jury duty the hard way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's true PAK it's not as easy to get an "excused absence". I got a form that I could have a doctor, two witnesses and a lawyer sign to get out of the federal court jury thing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way to avoid jury duty is to want to get called for jury duty. It works for me. I'd love to be called in, but it's my wife who keeps getting the notices. Even my daughter got one back when she was maybe 11. Back when I didn't want to, I got called in and even was interviewed by the prosecutor and defense attorney during jury selection. Some of my answers were pretty negative towards prosecutors in general and I sometimes wonder if that led to a black mark next to my name in the jury selection database.

Around the same time, some people decided to investigate why juries were a lot whiter than expected and why people from Hartford didn't seem to be called for jury duty. They discovered that the data management system was set up so that the "d" in Hartford was in a column where it meant deceased. Fortran strikes again. They found another problem that excluded everyone in our judicial district's other city that has a high proportion of poor people and minorities. Sometimes it's hard to know whether you're seeing corruption or if it's just incompetence.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem was that somebody found out the poor & minorities were being excluded from jury pools. Everything was going along just fine until some busy body had to point it out. Those investigators were probably communists too... my god! lol!

There was only one Asian guy at my Jury pool.

How did your kid wind up with a jury summons? I thought you either had to pay property taxes or register to vote for them to get hold of your name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received my check from jury duty(about 2-3 weeks ago) in the mail today. It was for a big fat $11 and some cents. It was because my work paid me for the day and took most of the money that I would have had from the court. I didn't get selected to serve in any trials, but I enjoyed getting paid to sit around all day and listen to my Ipod in the waiting room. I'll do jury duty any time the courts want me.
    Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say 'Hey man, I love you this many dollars worth. -Michael Scott, The Office

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you get paid by yer boss if you go to jury duty?

Man, i'd love to do jury duty all the time just sit around and listen to people talk for.. hours.. and ...nvm. :3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I work for the state, I'd keep cashing paychecks even if I had to spend the rest of the year on a jury. That's part of the reason jury duty wouldn't be such a burden. A lot of old people like being on juries because they don't have anything else to do and, in my cynical opinion, look forward to the opportunity to punish someone for everything they don't like in the modern world.

As for how my daughter got a jury summons, we never figured that out. My wife asked when she called to explain the situation and wasn't given a good explanation of how it happened. My daughter wanted to go, since she'd miss school.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience with jury duty, I'd say that if you've EVER been summoned, they will keep summoning you like speed dial. Ive even been called upon twice in 3 months, which they aren't supposed to do and they give e a hard time about trying to get out of it.

I dont know how it is in other states, but here in Texas, pray you don't get called on by the civil courts, apparently there is no picking jury like in the criminal cases, if you get summoned, you will juror before the end of the day.

go justice!

~billy

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience with jury duty, I'd say that if you've EVER been summoned, they will keep summoning you like speed dial.
    I think that's true. If they find someone who shows up, they just keep calling you as often as they can legally...and I guess sometimes illegally.

The trial process can be interesting but also disillusioning when you see people in the jury room making up their own scenarios as to how an event happened. "If the streetlight was over there, then that meant the guy couldn't see the have missed the jury instructions to only consider evidence presented in the trial. Not your own musings on "ifs and maybes". It was scary to know someone's life is in the hands of a jury after seeing what can happen in jury deliberation.

So...be careful Ozzy. lol
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12