What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A neat lil parasite plant

I found this while looking up info on a plant.

This is the only visible part of Hydnora africana the root parasite of Euphorbia caput-medusae.

Open bloom
Hydnora_africana-SC-6_300.jpg

Read about the first (and only?) growing experiment with this pair of plants here:
http://www.botany.org/Parasitic_Plants/Hydnora_africana.php

The rough exterior, color, and parasitic nature, really remind of the rafflesia!

It repays the host plant by scaring off the herbivores.

The host ain't too shabby either looking like a swarm of serpents (each arm can get up to 3 feet in length) & being full of poisonous white sap
800px-Euphorbia_caput-medusae_2.jpg

Hehe, my teacher showed me that in magazine a few months ago, it's a really neat plant. Vampire plant, I think. Awesome flowers.

That thing is NASTY... But really cool at the same time.

Looks just like some kind of fictitious flytrap.

Thanks for posting.

Haha, as soon as I saw that I started hearing the theme from "Attack of the Killer Tomatos."
~Joe

Every time I turn away from the board for a bit something interesting pops up. Lol, since so many plants are becoming consumers doesn't that mean they are converging with fungus species? (they have cell walls and are consumer not a producer in this case)

So cool, I love weird plants!

Both plants are very cool!

Back