User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Move over Shultz Aquatic Plant Soil...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Move over Shultz Aquatic Plant Soil...

Make way for NAPA Floor Dry! (used to soak up oil and fluid spills in your garage)

Most cacti people who use the Shultz Aquatic Plant Soil are now using this as it's more product for less. So since I need more Shultz APS I thought I'd buy a bag of Napa instead and try it since it's gotten good reviews from all users. It was less than $8 for 24 dry quarts, no weight on the bag but it's much lighter than an equivalent bag of kitty litter or Shultz APS.

Here's what it looks like:

It's a bit larger fired earth pieces than the Shultz APS but still plenty small.

I will be doing a empty pot test to see how fast it dries plain VS mixed 50/50 with cherrystone grit. You really HAVE to use some kind of gravel or other heavy additive with this cos it's very light, even lighter than the Shultz APS, almost like perlite in weight when dry.

So, the inevitable question, any of you ever try this stuff?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting.....let us know how it works out
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't tried it, but I want to soon. Does it float?
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool! Where did/can you buy it?
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would somebody use it anyway.....what about the good old rich organic dirt and sand mix in clay pots? This combination used to dry the plant in less than 2 days....and why do you think cacti care so much about their soil?...they grow on almost anything.
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like he bought it at a NAPA Auto Parts store.

I haven't nailed this stuff down yet. Some resources say it is clay based, others say it is Diatomite (calcined (fired) diatomaceous earth).

If it is Diatomite it should be ok for general horticultural use. Note the mention of soluble silicas - may or may not be good for some CP species. More on Diatomite.

Diatomite for industrial use may be of different quality than horticultural grade stuff.

This may or may not be the source of your "Floor-Dry" (check the label carefully):

Chemtex

MSDS for ChemTex "Floor-Dry" (pdf format) this stuff contains silica, note the respirator and dust mask warnings.

Then there is always "Turface" which also fired Fuller's Earth that Butch found. I think you can get 40 pound bags at Ace Hardware for $10-15. That's the stuff you've probably been walking on at athletic fields, golf course etc.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark,
    Maybe you guys out there in CA can have a pot of soil & sand* dry up in two days, I've gotten plants shipped in from CA potted with 50/50 pumice & supersoil but here in MN other than in June/July/August your pots may not go dry for a month or more. Not so good for succulents, I've tried and failed until I started using the Shultz which dries up super quick in my area, this is just way cheaper. Now I simply repot every plant in my mix upon arrival and they live. If I don't get them outta peat I won't have them long.

*We have no "good sand" here, just play sand which causes soil compaction. So this can double as sand for say a peat/sand mix for my sundews who need repotting.

Dart,
    Just get it at any Napa auto parts store look by the cases of oil or just ask for Napa part #8822 or ask for Floor Dry.

Seed,
    When I was wetting the Napa a few grains floated but they have to soak up water being bone dry so after soaking it may sink just like the APS. If the mineral the NAPA is made from is inert (someone with a aquarium test kit should run a bettery of tests on the water after this sits in it for a day, week, month, etc) cos it would be fantastic for planted aquariums considering the mix of colors in comparison to Flourite or Shultz APS. Maybe have to blend some 25% small gravel with it cos like all the other specialty aquatic soils it would seem too light to hold aquatic plants in place until they've rooted.

NAN,
    Yes, the label says 100% Granular Diatomite Absorbant. Pretty much all the folks on the cacti forum who use the Shultz APS have switched to this. Back of the bag says "Kiln-fired diatomaceous earth". The only warning is about inhaling large amounts of the silica dust when it's dry. Since I mix my soils dry I either wear a tee shirt over my nose & mouth or respirator cos I don't like inhaling dust, I'd just never make it as a cokehead!

Here's those empty pot tests:
    Napa plain I love the way it looks so natural! It really takes on some weight when it's wet too

Napa & Cherrystone Grit #2. I didn't use as much Cherrystone (the purple) as it looks but when the Napa and Cherrystone blend pots got wetted I couldn't hardly tell which was which so I added a pinch of cherrystone ontop.

Compare the above with Shultz Aquatic Plant Soil baked clay, quite the same but a better "look" to the Napa. (The blurry green blob is a Lithops leslei albinica seedling)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    If the mineral the NAPA is made from is inert (someone with a aquarium test kit should run a bettery of tests on the water after this sits in it for a day, week, month, etc) cos it would be fantastic for planted aquariums considering the mix of colors in comparison to Flourite or Shultz APS.
    Have you checked the TDS of some water before & after a 24 hr soak? That would be a good place to start....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast