What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zee New Forum

Wow, this took an interesting turn of events. :x IMO, I don't really find the original post offensive...

rattler, er, fuher, didnt do anything. I was the one who said the n-a-z-i word.

I have no german in me (to the best of my knowledge).
I have nothing that makes it "ok".

I got nothing!

So im sorry if that sounded insulting. I apparently pulled what i hate worst in this world, the stereotypical (cant spell) "i think i know it all and everything about you", ugly as hell, American. Trust me, ive seen the bad side of that many a time. So i am very sorry.

Also, this topic is retarded. Im sorry if that insults anyone else as well. Really, it is.

Sorry it took this turn,
Frankie

it is alright. I will admit I was being a bit immature last night. (I'm thirteen, that's what I do)

OK let me say this, I am all for people saying what is on their mind, that however allows me also to express how I feel about this thread making light of hate mongering and treating one of the worst crimes against humanity as if it is a joke.

First, being German, or of German heritage doesn't give you any more right to make comments about the Nazis, Hitler, and the holocaust than the rest of us.

Second, Germans be offended, what about the Jews, Poles, Roma, Homosexuals, and all the other "undesirables" they are the ones that should really be offended by this post. The massacre of 10million+ people is not a joke period.

Third to pretend like you were not specifically in some way comparing yourself with Hitler is a joke. You live in American culture, you consider yourself American, therefore you should be fully aware of what the title of fuehrer is going to incite in peoples minds. You also specifically make reference to a "master race" the goal of Hitler and you say you are going to send people to the gas chamber, a specific execution style carried out by the Nazis. The fact that you speak some German, and with a little research could found out that the word fuehrer is rarely if ever used outside compound words where its hard to replace, you knew exactly the kind of allusion you were making so don't pretend like you didn't.

Now I am not calling for censorship here, anybody can say what they want and its up to the mods and the owner of this board to decide if its acceptable. I am just saying lets call a fish a fish here, if you are going to call yourself the fuehrer and go around alluding to Nazi goal and crimes then don't be surprised nor upset when people are offended by your actions. What your doing is offensive. Period. But I also believe everyone has a right to say what they want no matter how ignorant or small minded it might be. That's the beauty and the tragedy of the right to free speech.

Perhaps this is getting a bit out of hand? I'm sure that the intention wasn't to be offensive. There is a potential for insulting in every post someone makes.

Maybe it'd be a good idea to close this topic in order to prevent further problems.

Growing up as a German has always been interesting for me, for this very reason. I've found that as time goes on, my opinions of these things change. Still, I find myself conflicted.

On one hand I consider all of the crap I got as a kid from my peers. Even before any of us know what a "nazi" even was, I took a lot of flack. None of us knew what the word meant, but we all knew it was hurtful. This indicative of something much deeper. Not all is forgotten and forgiven. Germans will be the first to admit this.

On the other hand I've always known that there are certain cases where all you can do is laugh or cry. I've taken the matter seriously and considered all of the repercussions. I've lived the modern repercussions. At some point you gotta wipe your eyes and try laughing.

The Nazis and their atrocities are something that we, all of us, will always have to take seriously. They'll always serve as an important reminder of so many dangers. There is still pain, but there's a part of me that feels like humor is part of the healing process.

And I'll try to cut this off at that, before I ramble on for a few days. :]

I think the original post was intended as humorous. The accent was funny at least.

I have a positive German story to share. My 4th great grandfather was a Hessian soldier. He was brought over to the colonies by the British to fight against the continental army around 1776.

He deserted the British army and joined the continental army. That just goes to show that Germans can like freedom too. :-D

Gute nacht.

Der Führer:

I think some parties might find the username a bit...

...disturbing, at best.

Here's this for anyone here who might need one:

german_shovel.jpg

it is a German shovel afterall... :D

Now, how's about changing my user name to Jesus Christ :poke:

(J/K Andrew happy mit swords!)

Mein Führer!

I can walk!

Jason

All of this name changing. What happened to just making a new account? I can see it for regular users, but if you're an admin you can already do whatever... When I used to admin stuff I had no interest in doing my admin duties with my user accounts.
And carn, you should watch the original Japanese series, it's much better.
~Joe

seedjar are you talking about cardcaptors? I don't know japanese though.

There are amateur translations available online - subtitled anime and also the manga with translated dialogue, which I haven't had time for. There are some surprising differences from the American release.
~Joe

Back