Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roses

Here are a couple pics from my grandma's rose garden.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! I'd like to do roses if I had a yard. I had a small "Parade Rose" the miniature plants about 6-8" high with 2" blooms & 1" leaves for a year or two but it died off for some reason. It's color was similar to that last one you show but the inside was orange and the tips hot pink, they were fake looking flowers (crazy color) but real. No scent though - I like smelly flowers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice......cant grow hybrid teas here....ive got a couple 'Austrian Copper' shrub roses i really like......bought a couple more shrub and "nearly wild" roses to put in this year......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mom got a wild "rose" for free once. She decided to plant it near or outdoor table we like to eat at. BAD CHOICE. The thing took over and had these ugly tiny white flowers. My dad decided to replace it with two roses that are hardy to 15 degrees today... It gets far colder then that here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like some of the species roses is that the same as a wild rose? The classic rose shape is a hybrid/cultivar/manmade creation but of course, when you say "rose" that's what people generally think of.

I dig the European climbing roses, growing up a stone wall or metal gate looks awesome! MN is pretty cold and mainly the "iceberg" roses (or something like that) survive best but they're always just white. Perhaps bloom colors are influenced by soil nutrients as well? Most blue hydrangeas which are planted in MN never are blue again when they rebloom. They just become an off white green.

One of my moms old co-workers was into roses and tried all kinds. He chopped them down to about 6-12" stems, loaded them with mulch, covered them with a big Styrofoam ice cooler type thing and then more mulch to get them through the winter, sometimes they still didn't make it even after all that production!

A girl I work with told me her roses all died she bought last summer:
    "Roses are dumb they won't grow. I cut off the bag and put them in the ground and they died"
    "Did you spread out the roots in a wide diameter hole with a pyramid in the middle like the bag said?"
    "No that would take a long time, I just dug a hole and dropped them in."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure if the "nearly wild roses" are a species or just a hybrid with simple flowers....basically they have a pink, 5 petal flower.......

this is the 'Austrian Copper' prolly my favorite 5 petal rose:
    http://www.rose-roses.com/rosepages/...daBicolor.html

hardy as all get out...almost no die back even with no protection in the winter other than its on the south side of the house so it doesnt get the full force of the winter north winds.....but being close to the house it gets zero snow cover to protect it either.......the branches see -50 air temps in the winter and its not phased......i trim the tips in the spring to encourage branching but thats about it......

we do have a wild species rose here........i dont grow it though cause it doesnt form the nicest looking bushes they generally look kinda rough.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great color!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like rugosa roses (Rosa rugosa for you species buffs). They aren't native, but they might as well be. They're the beach roses of New England and supposedly are hardy to Zone 2. They can grow in anything and there are a lot of cultivars with different colors. Best of all, in my opinion, is that they get huge and tasty rose hips. Not only do they have lots of Vitamin C and make great jelly, they're good right off the plant.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast