What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My CP order

Hello everyone, I am acquiring some new CPs soon. I researched lowland neps and I know all of the basics but I'm still not sure if I can use a simple mix of peat and perlite. Will this keep them healthy? Also, what is the most simple mix for a Ceph?
Thanks,
Devon Blomquist

You cannot mention other sellers on the site Devon.

But to answer your question about lowlanders...
A mix of perlite and peat CAN work for beginning plants. I had a sanguinea in such a mix and it thrived for me but I cannot say that it will do the same for you as I do not know what conditions you plan on giving the plants. I would instead recommend what I use as my mix; LFS/peat moss/sand. This seems to give more surface area for the roots and also allows good aeration and drainage of the soil. There is more to keeping plants healthy then just soil. You should let us know what your conditions will be more precisely so we can better help you.

for the nepenthes there are several: 1 part peat moss, 1 part perlite (or pumice) 1 part orchid bark, 1 part vermiculite. 1 part live spaghnum. 1 part orchid bark. 1 part peat moss. 1 part dried spaghnum moss, 2 parts perlite. 1 part peat moss, 1-2 parts perlite, 1 part orchid bark. 2 part peat moss, 3-4 parts perlite

For the cephalotus: 1 part live spaghnum moss, 1 part pumice (or perlite), 1 part orchid bark. I part peat moss, 2 parts pumice (or perlite), 1 part orchid bark. 1 part peat moss, 2 parts perlite.

for the most part lowlands like warm and humid. based on species, they may like part sun to part shade. I don't know too much about cephs though. hope this helps.

hello everyone, I am getting a bunch of new CPs from Keehn's soon and I would like some basic tips for the plants I'm getting if that's ok. I researched lowland neps and I know all of the basics but I'm still not sure if I can use a simple mix of peat and perlite. Will this keep them healthy? Also, what is the most simple mix for a Ceph?
Thanks,
Devon Blomquist

For Cephalotus, the simplest compost is a 2:1 mix of horticultural sand and peat moss (which I have been using for years with cuttings and smaller plants); for the Nepenthes, you want something more "open," fibrous, and quick-draining than peat -- something including long-fiber sphagnum, orchid bark, perlite, pumice, or a combination of each. The tropicals are not that particular . . .

Good luck . . .

ok, thankyou so much... HOW DO I DELETE THIS POST??? I DON"T LIKE GETTING IN TROUBLE AND I WOULD LIKE TO STAY ON THIS SITE!!! AAAHHH!! HOW DO I DELETE IT?

ok, thankyou so much... HOW DO I DELETE THIS POST??? I DON"T LIKE GETTING IN TROUBLE AND I WOULD LIKE TO STAY ON THIS SITE!!! AAAHHH!! HOW DO I DELETE IT?

You dont have to delete it, just look at the bottom of your post and edit the name out and place *** in or just say that you're acquiring some new Neps and cephs. Dont worry I dont think Andy will come down on you with a hammer lol

I don't think there should be a problem, now you know. I think they let the first one slide, don't worry. If you really want it deleted talk to a moderator, but you should be ok as long as you don't let it happen again.

BTW, by deleting this post I meant the whole thread...

I believe it's sellers only in the US that we cannot mention. There's several posts that mention BE, EP, and Wistuba without issue. I don't see why Canadian sellers would be any different.

Crystal

Last edited:
ok, thank you sooo much! I was scared!

I edited it...

There rules say Non-US sellers are ok to be mentioned.

oh yeah, thanks for your help eveyrone, I guess I will go buy some sphagnum, vermiculite and all that stuuf tomorrow. Thanks!

I believe it's sellers only in the US that we cannot mention. There's several pots that mention BE, EP, and Wistuba without issue. I don't see why Canadian sellers would be any different.

Crystal

and thankyou too.

Haha, don't worry, mentioning the name of an American seller won't get you banned or in trouble. Really all that will happen is that a mod will edit your post and that's it, but it's still advised to not do it. :p Anyway, I like 1:1 sphagnum and orchid bark, but there are a ton of mixes you can use for Neps. Plus, a "simple" mix for a Ceph is 1:2 peat and perlite.

Haha, don't worry, mentioning the name of an American seller won't get you banned or in trouble.

Correction: It wont get you banned (first time.) It wont get you in big trouble (first time.) Repeat offenses tend to be noted. If you don't respect the rules, and this is a rule at TF, then you're not welcome. Slip-ups happen, or people don't know the rules (even though they should read them.) But if you willfully ignore the rules, there will be consequences involving banhammers. :)

There rules say Non-US sellers are ok to be mentioned.

Correction #2: No they don't. This is been the de facto stance. So far, out-of-country vendors haven't really posed many problems. Whether an out-of-country vendor is allowed to be listed or not is at the discretion of the mods/admins; if it becomes a problem then we'll start removing links.

Please, review the rules of participation. :)

Don't worry. To get banned, you'll either have to be trying to get banned, or just not care about the rules at all (which you clearly do).
If you're in Ontario, why not try out a few highland nepenthes? All the better if your grow area gets cooler at night. All the previously mentioned medias are good, but I'll add that lowland neps tend to like the denser, wetter mixes (with perhaps a generous portion of LFS). Which plants did you order?
Cephalotus seems to be very tolerant, at least for me. I have it in peat/perlite, though there are other possibilities as well.

Correction: It wont get you banned (first time.) It wont get you in big trouble (first time.) Repeat offenses tend to be noted. If you don't respect the rules, and this is a rule at TF, then you're not welcome. Slip-ups happen, or people don't know the rules (even though they should read them.) But if you willfully ignore the rules, there will be consequences involving banhammers. :)

Correction #2: No they don't. This is been the de facto stance. So far, out-of-country vendors haven't really posed many problems. Whether an out-of-country vendor is allowed to be listed or not is at the discretion of the mods/admins; if it becomes a problem then we'll start removing links.

Please, review the rules of participation. :)

Yeah, I pm'd Andy about an order to Australia and apparently I CAN'T post about it...

What does de facto mean ?:scratch:

Back