What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a new location for my plants

• Thread starter Wolfn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    grow

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Currently, I have my plants located on top of a jacuzzi we never use, as seen in the picture:
outdoorplants3.jpg

Now, my parents are getting rid of the jacuzzi in the next couple of weeks and there is currently no place for my plants anywhere because of the two new dogs we got recently.

What would be a good place to grow my plants so that the dogs can't get into them?

you could always put them in a greenhouse or have you ever seen a rabbit run maybe one of them the dogs wont get through the metal wire fencing

Richard

you could always put them in a greenhouse or have you ever seen a rabbit run maybe one of them the dogs wont get through the metal wire fencing

Richard

I'm currently looking at this "plant tower" which is priced at $70.
PlantTower.jpg

...A jacuzzi you never use? Like, there's another jacuzzi that you do use?
I have one of those things, and also a larger one where the insides are thick plastic. They aren't bad, but aren't great. Don't plan on them surviving much more than three or four years. You can get something much sturdier by building one yourself. Go to Lowes' or Home Depot and check out the corrugated poly sheet; you can get a 10' x 2' panel for like $9 around here. Two or three of those and a few 2x4s and you're in business - even with hardware you'll probably come in at less than $70.
~Joe

I bought one of those greenhouses and returned it within hours! It is not very sturdy and the shelves don't take much weight. You can get metal shelving for around $50 from Home Depot. That is what I ended up with. It is very sturdy and can hold 250 lbs. per shelf. You can then go get green house plastic and wrap it in it. My shelf is inside so mine is uncovered. to keep my outside plants away from my dog I just went and bought a cheap but sturdy folding table 2'x6' for $50. Hope some of this can help!

just dont buy any shelves that aren't 4' long, becuase you'll regret it later...

oh and if you covered your plants on that rack thing and put it outside, you'd have baked plants within minutes... just FYI

Er, yeah - in Florida, you definitely wouldn't need to use the zippers. Even here in Washington where it's like 70F in the day and 40F at night, I leave one side open almost all the way to the top because otherwise it can get up to 90 or probably even 100+F by noon. Even with it partly open it gets nice and toasty in there, even back when we were seeing highs in the 60s.
~Joe

Yeah, a shelf/greenhouse is good. Or like some others, a metal wire cage thing.

I wouldn't even go with a shelf, just a table will do. In the shelf scenario the plants are all stacked on top of one another so the lighting isn't as good for the ones on the bottom...

im growing some of my plants in that tower. I always make sure to have the bottom of the plastic up on the 2nd rack to get air

Back