Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Living Stones (not Lithops)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guessing no one has seen them move cause wet clay is near impossible to drive on........when conditions are right for them to move they are conditions you really cant drive in on the flats.....wet clay turns into something akin to axle grease.......when the clay hills and flats around here get wet you better be out of the clay or your staying till it dries up or freezes.....a couple of the campsites where yah have to go down the hill to get to them have very large warning signs saying dont go down if yah dont have atleast 3 days worth of food cause 1/8 inch of rain means you aint getting back out till it dries.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume the trail would wear away the further away you got from the rock, as with time, the wains WILL wash away the track it leaves. Amazing how winds can even move something as motionless as a rock
    this is quite an interesting phenomenon!

Now, if only someone could tell me why jumping beans jump...
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jumping beans jump due to a grub living in the bean.......

if yah have seen the winds i have you would understand how wind can move a rock if the conditions are right.....ive seen 110mph straight line winds.....no tornado or hurricane involved.....everything lined up absolutely perfectly condition wise and most buildings for a 5 mile wide by 10 mile long swath were destroyed.....it happened to the north of where we were living at the time....ive seen tornadoes.....watching that thunderhead drop 5,000 feet in about 8 seconds was the scariest damn thing ive seen weather wise....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read something about them once and think those rocks are pretty cool. Like Ant, I've wondered if vibration has a role. Wet clay is sticky, but vibration makes its viscosity plummet (making it a thixotropic fluid). If the ground vibrates (or even a rock vibrates when the wind blows at the right speed and direction) then the clay is more like a skating rink and the rock might follow the wind.

In a related story, my wife and I were at a restaurant last week when my glass of water suddenly took off across the table. It didn't move more than a few inches, but the table was pretty level and there was no wind or any other obvious force to make it move. I didn't notice or think of it at the time, but I wondered afterwards if a truck had driven by and vibrated the place a little. It was a humid day, so the glass was pretty wet and any vibration might have made that glass move like the players in those old vibrating electric football games I remember in the 70s.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12